Tuesday, May 15, 2012

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (sometimes maybe a few) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along.  This week's selection was released in October of 2011 - Has anyone read it? What do you think? 

(I'm way behind on my reviews and reading, so this one may have to wait a bit longer??)

W.W. Norton & Company

" The walls were kittens and puppies. Like other pet facilities he had seen--even the Humane Society, where he had taken Casey when she was six to pick out a kitten--the kennel trafficked in a brand of cuteness he could not endorse.  He had nothing against pets; in theory, the more pets the better, although he personally did not own one.  Not in the sense of unchecked proliferation, feral cats mating all over the place, etc., but in the sense that cats were good, dogs were good. No argument there.  But he did not see why this high regard for pets, his or anyone else's, should be represented by photographs of puppies with word balloons emerging from their mouths--balloons that contained supposedly witty sayings that, were, in fact, stupid.  There was no call for dachshunds dressed up as Blues Brothers."

"Susan's name had been on the list of emergency contacts for this particular dog.  When its owner failed to pick it up after several weeks the kennel finally called her.  Instantly she felt guilty; she should have thought about the dog far sooner, she told Hal.  She had forgotten the dog, forgotten all about it."

18 comments:

  1. Interesting first paragraphs. Here is mine: http://jaynesbooks.blogspot.com/2012/05/first-chapter-first-paragaphs-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this book...and I'm curious about it now. That opener did pique my interest, so yes, I would want to know more.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been curious about this one -- interesting opening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I would have to finishing reading that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a pet and love him dearly but I don't know that this opening would make me want to read more. Maybe I read too much Gerald Durell and James Herriot as a child and am petted out (so to speak).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this one sounds perfect for me! I love the mix of sardonic humor and graceful writing, and can't wait to hear what you think of this one. I do hope that you go forward with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, that did not appeal to me. Felt like one long drawn out sentence.

    This week I am reading Mocking Bird by Kathryn Erskine of one the winner of the The Dolly Gray Children’s Literature Award.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This seems like it should be the opening for a wacky romp when a non-dog-loving person becomes the owner of a dog. Not sure it goes with the title and the cover. I'll be interested to see how it turns out. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's interesting to me that so many of the bloggers I follow are way behind in reading and reviewing just like me. Some of us have had health issues (my story) but with others I think it's just a matter of life getting in the way. I haven't read this book so I can't help you, but I'm really not sure I would read it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard of this one either. From the title I would not have been thinking "pets".

    You're not the only one behind in reading. I had a choice of about 10 review books on my table all shouting pick me, me, me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting start to a book! The wry humor and pets as a subject threw me when I saw the cover and the title. Can't wait to hear your final thoughts on this one!

    here's mine:http://www.anovelsource.com/2012/05/first-chapter-first-paragraph-blue.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds cryptic enough to make me read more. Is it a suspense / mystery novel? Because the person in the first paragraph sounds sort of prissy and intolerant, and the woman in the second paragraph sounds sort of flighty and irresponsible. I hope they're nicer people than this. :D

    Mine's at http://simplengkaligayahan.blogspot.com/2012/05/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beleive it or not, I'ne never had a pet so I didn't find this intro interesting.

    Here is my intro: http://pinucciasbooks.blogspot.com/2012/05/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am intrigued enough to keep reading!

    Mine is here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a pet owner six times over (3 dogs & 3 cats) I love those cute animal pics. So I guess this book is not for me (at least based on the intro).

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great meme, and a great way to learn about new books. I'd read this one, based on the intro.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm....what happened that made her forget about the dog? Would keep on!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not sure what to think about this book but I'm interested! I think I'll see what the book summary says. I'll be keeping an eye out for your review, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.