Friday, January 29, 2016

Surf's Up; Kwame Alexander

Surf's Up; Kwame Alexander
(Illustrated by Daniel Miyares)
NorthSouth - 2016


Bro and Dude are two frogs who have different ideas about how to have a fun day at the beach.  Dude wants to surf while Bro wants to read his book (Moby Dick). Dude thinks reading is boring until Bro tells him that the book is about a man trying to find a whale and then Dude wants to know more.

Moby Dick begins to come alive on the pages through skillful illustrations. It's a book with very few words and probably not one that will be begged to be read again and again.  I think it's kind of hard to explain Moby Dick to the preschool set.  I did like that the book reinforces the message that "reading can be fun."

3.5/5 stars
(Amazon Vine)

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the illustrations are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The subject matter seems a bit lofty for this age group, but maybe early exposure to a classic is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I purchase books for our school library (and I teach pre-school age children). Sounds like this should be put on my list for next year. I like to have book that encourages the love of reading. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.