Friday, January 1, 2016

A Year End Reading Review and the First Book of the New Year

A few days ago I posted my top (10) favorite reads of 2015. Since then I've broken down those stats down a bit more as I became curious how many of my own books I actually read -- disappointing results. I read and reviewed (114 books). I read (2) additional books that were for (2) different book groups that I did not review here (1) of these was a repeat that I had actually read in 2007).
  • 114 Books Read
  • 32 eGalleys
  • 33 ARCS or finished copies sent by publishers
  • 18 library books
  • 22 audio books
  • 16 personal copies
  • 12 non-fiction
  • 19 kids books

Favorite Reads for 2015

A Little Life
it was amazing
When I first decided to read this book, I thought that the cover image was a terrible choice, however, after finishing this 700+ pp book over the course of a few weeks, I now think the image is perfect. It so accurately depicts the emot...
Aquarium
it was amazing
Aquarium is an addictive read that hooked me early on, shocked me as the story progressed and made me wonder whether emotionally wounded individuals can ever truly heal. The story opens in 1990's Seattle, where 12-year-old Caitlin live...
The Beautiful Bureaucrat
it was amazing
When I saw that readers who enjoy Murakami and Atwood would likely enjoy this book, I knew I had to give it a try. It's a great choice for book groups with plenty to discuss. After being out of work for way too long Joseph and Josephine...
Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories
it was amazing
Ghostly, was a pleasant surprise, an awesome collection of short ghost stories. Each story can be completed in a short sitting, preferably by a nice warm fire or glowing candle with something warm to drink. Each story begins with a sma...
Eileen
it was amazing
Just who is Eileen? In a town only referred to as X-ville in Massachusetts lived 24 year old Eileen Dunlop. Some might see her simply as a lonely young woman with low self esteem who cares for her alcoholic ex-cop father. To me, Eileen w...
What I Remember Most
it was amazing
What I Remember Most was a terrific story and one that kept me wondering as I eagerly turned each page. Part mystery, part contemporary fiction, the only thing that the reader knows for sure is that the protagonist, Grenadine Scotch Wild...
Our Souls at Night
it was amazing
I loved this audiobook narrated by Mark Bramhall. The story left me feeling a bit sad, and with a thought that I often ask myself these days -- "Why can't people just live and let live?" The story is a pretty simple one and involves two...
Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End
it was amazing
It took me a while to write this review because it covered so much important information, I wasn't sure possibly write a review that would it all the credit it deserved, as I'm sure I will have glossed over lots of important information....
This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
it was amazing
This is Your Life, Harriet Chance is a wonderful story told through the POV of Harriet, a 78 year old widow who had been married for 55 years. After her husband Bernard passes away, Harriet learns he had planned an Alaskan cruise for ...
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory
it was amazing
While many people choose not to think about death and dying, 20-something author Caitlin Doughty was obsessed by it at an early age. At the age of eight she performed a ritual the she believed would help keep death at bay. After growing ...


Sheila of Book Journey is once again hosting this fun event. Pop on over to her blog to check out the friendly faces of your fellow bloggers and, see what each has picked as their first book of 2016. (I actually started this one a few days ago, but the review is posting tomorrow. I highly recommend this sometimes sad but, lovely story.

Coming Up Next

What are your reading plans for 2016?

69 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a great year in reading! here's to another great one! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. I always get excited when thinking about a new year in books LOL

      Delete
  2. Great year! I'm heard good things about Like Family and I'm reading Lucy Barton right now and really loving...but only 30% in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your picture, Diane! And I think I'm going to tackle A LITTLE LIFE this year. Maybe over a longer time period or a little at a time. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful reading year you had! I think A Little Life made everyone's favorite list this year (mine included). I see a lot that are on my backlist, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great year and a great photo, too. I want to read Like Family, but A Little Life may be too much for me. Happy 2016, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoAnn. I hope you give both books a chance. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  6. Lots of good reads going on! Happy New Year from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun to be able to match picture and reader on Sheila's blog this morning. I have seen A Little Life all over. Guess that is my hint to read it. I have joined a TBR Triple Dog Dare: to read only books already on my bookshelf until April 1st. I am sure I can manage that! Happy New Year Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea read your own books through 4/1/2016 Happy New Year

      Delete
  8. I really want to read Paolo Giordano's book! By the way, these are great stats on your blogging. You are such a well-rounded reader, getting your book from different sources.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many people love A Little Life. I was put off by the cover too, and never did get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aquarium made my favorites too. I've heard Like Family is fantastic. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great books! It seems everyone has "A Little Life" on their Best of lists. I own the book, but just haven't felt quite ready to read it yet. I think I should probably just put on my big girl panties and dig into it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like Family has a gorgeous cover and blurb. Thanks for sharing...I also loved the Cathy Lamb book. Have a wonderful year....and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hau'oli Makahiki Hou. Have a great reading session.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I may try Little Life in 2016. Thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lovely to see you and your first read of the year Diane - I like your breakdown of your reading in 2015 too... Wishing you a Happy New Year with lots of great books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like Family looks like a good read. I've heard fantastic things about Cathy Lamb and A Little Life. I'd like to read both of them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am seeing a lot of sad reads, which I love, look forward to your review. Aquarium has me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March, It's funny or (weird) I do gravitate toward sad reads.

      Delete
  18. It's always nice to look back over the year to see which books we really liked. I haven't done that yet. But who knows, maybe someday soon I will look over what I read and say, Hey! I remember that book...Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll look forward to your review. It looks good. Thanks for the 5 star reads. I'll have to take a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm, Ghostly caught my eye. I love ghost stories, may have to save it for next October though... Happy New Year, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are a couple books in your list to tempt me, including Being Mortal and This Is Your Life Harriet Chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being Mortal is a fantastic NF read. Loved the other as well.

      Delete
  22. Happy New Year, Diane! What a great number of books! Wishing you a great reading year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iliana - hope your 2016 is filled with good fortune and good books.

      Delete
  23. Yay for Cathy Lamb! The one you are reading for the 1st book of the year looks good even with parts of it sad. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the idea of breaking down the book according to their origin. I may borrow that for next year. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Some bloggers get so very specific with stats - that's the best effort I could expend. LOL

      Delete
  25. Happy New Year, Diane! I will be reading Like Family as well, although I haven't received it yet. I haven't chosen my First Book of the year yet. My selection may not take place for a few more days. I hope to read more, and post more, in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy Like Family as much as I did. A Happy & Healthy 2016 to you.

      Delete
  26. As always, I am amazed at the amount of books you read, and you have a job, and you have grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I feel out of the loop because I think this is the first I've heard of Like Family. I'll watch for your review. I like your First Book pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy New Year! Glad to hear you've enjoyed your first read of 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks like you had a great reading year - Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very good year for enjoyable reads. Thanks for stopping by. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  30. 114 books is a great reading year. A Little Life has had such good reviews I've finally put it on my to-read list. Perhaps audio is the way to go - I never seem to want to commit to huge print novels.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great list! I have GOT to get my hands on This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance! I loved the author's book, The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving, on audio, although I was supposed to review it and I don't think I ever did. Hoping to be a better book blogger in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I need to do a better job at keeping stats - I always enjoy seeing everyone's at the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous cover.

    Great to hear your first read of the year was good.

    Great stats!! 114 books read is amazing. CONGRATS!!

    Happy New Year and Happy Reading in 2016!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver’s Reviews
    My First Book Of The Year

    ReplyDelete
  34. I haven't read any of these, but thanks to you, I have Harriet on my shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your new header, Diane!

    Definitely a very good year of reading. I, too, enjoyed Our Souls at Night and Being Mortal (although, perhaps "enjoyed" is the wrong word). I'm hoping to read A Little Life one of these days. Maybe when I'm retired! I really want to read This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance. It sounds like just my kind of novel. I read Like Family earlier this month and while I thought the writing was very good, I didn't love it. I'm anxious to read your review and see what you thought.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.