Friday, January 29, 2016

The Winter Girl; Matt Marinovich

The Winter Girl; Matt Marinovich
Doubleday - 2016

I enjoy a creepy read from time to time so when I saw this book compared to Gone Girl, I was anxious to try it. The story hooked me early on but, was far from perfect.

Scott and Elise are a married couple and after just four years of marriage, theirs is in a rut.  It's winter and the couple is staying at Elise's father's house in the Hamptons - Victor's a loathsome man, dying of cancer, but not fast enough for the couple.  Elise, a speech therapist, is on LOA and Scott, isn't doing much of anything these days, except helping himself to some Victor's alcohol.

As weeks turn into months, Scott becomes overly curious about the house across the street whose lights go out at precisely 11:00pm each evening.  One day when Elise is at the hospital visiting her father, he breaks in and before long he gets her to snoop along.

It's a delicious premise which quickly drew me in but, what happens with the rest of the story was just too far out there to be believable. None of the characters have any redeeming qualities and they make one bad decision after another. Things soon get violent, gruesome and sexually graphic. I felt that the writing seemed more designed to shock rather than surprise, and, the only similarity to Gone Girl, IMO, seemed to be that both couples were equally unlikable.  Perhaps some psych thriller lovers will enjoy this more than me but, this one just wasn't my thing.

2/5 stars
(eGalley)

32 comments:

  1. Thank-you for your honest review! I feel like too many books are getting compared to Gone Girl these days. It is a good hook and has gotten me to read other books, but when they don't compare, it feels like even more of a let down. I feel that is why I didn't like Girl on the Train as well as everyone else seems too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see why lots of readers do not read the blurbs before starting a new book. (No expectations)

      Delete
  2. Great review! I like a suspenseful read and I don't mind loathsome characters IF the plot is strong but that doesn't sound like the case in this book. I think I'll pass. Thanks for saving me some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't mind unlikable characters either but, this plot was a bit much.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry this one didn't work for you, Diane. The premise sounds great, but it sounds like the follow-through fell short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one I've been watching closely for a while and wondering if it would really meet expectations. I've had my reservations about it, even though I love the sound of it. I think I'll pass on this one based on your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be curious to see what others thought Tara (Running & Reading liked this more than me.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a curl up by the fire book. Gone Girl was a page turner, but not one of my favorite books. I suppose because everyone was so evil. I always enjoy your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gone Girl was one where I liked the movie more than the book.

      Delete
  6. Well, you have made me curious about what's going on in that house. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn, sorry to hear this one wasn't a good read for you. I have been hearing quite a bit about this book and am curious of course. I have it on my Kindle and may check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent review, didn't sound like it met up to expectations so will give this one a pass. Thanks Diane! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I should just read Gone Girl instead. Think I'm the only one around who hasn't!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I've been reading a bit about this one lately too. Not every book is for every reader for sure. And I think that books like this one, especially with being compared to the increasingly tiresome 'girl' books (as in I'm tired of the comparisons), set the reader up to expect certain things. Ah well. I have this one and have actually read a few positive things about it. I'll likely try it at some point - probably in the summer - cold books in summer thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny - I read cold plots in winter and beach plots in summer LOL

      Delete
  11. Oops, another thriller compared to Gone Girl. It's inevitable...
    I've seen this one around and now I'm glad I read your review because while I love psychological thrillers, I am not into the overly graphic sex and violence rut that so many books fall into. Too bad, the basic premise sounds intriguing but probably not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like I needed to warn readers Rita. I'm not a prude but this was a bit much.

      Delete
  12. Yeah, this sounds more weird and designed to shock than to tell a compelling story. I'm sorry this didn't work for you. I feel a little nervous nowadays with books like these because they all say that they are the next Gone Girl but somehow fail to satisfy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gone Girl, Girl on the Train, The Winter Girl. Sounds like it's time for some originality! Pass.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It seems to have started out well though. Pity it could not be sustained.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was thinking about reading this book so I'm glad you shared your thoughts.I don't like books that pull me in and then get really bad. Think I'll pass on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does draw you in and make you want to turn pages but, just gets crazy afterward.

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ouch! Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.