Sunday, March 10, 2019

A Gentleman in Moscow; Amor Towles


AUTHOR:  Amor Towles
PUBLISHER:  Penguin Audio 
PUB. YEAR: 2016
SETTING:  Russia
FORMAT:  - audible download (17 hrs. 52 min)
RATING: 5/5

A  Gentleman in Moscow was a wonderful story. The "gentleman", Count Alexander Ilyich Rostov, was placed under house arrest inside of the grand luxurious, Metropol Hotel in Moscow in 1922. The Count's life was spared by the Bolsheviks because of their displeasure with a poem he wrote while at the University.

The story begins a few years after the Russian Revolution when violence was still the norm.  The Count is called before the Emergency Committee for Internal Affairs for writing a poem deemed counter-revolutionary. While the hotel is grand and artsy, the Count's room is tiny and cramped.  Despite this, for decades the Count remains a perfect gentleman never complaining about his circumstances.

I loved everything about this story, it was tender as well as humorous at times. The grand hotel and the people the Count encounters during his stay are well explored. Clearly, the Count is the winning star here, a man so gentle and full of love.  The story took me by surprise as I'm not fond of the time period but, the writing is spectacular and the story a gem.  I never expected to be so drawn into the story and the time period. This would make a great discussion book.  This author is amazing as I also enjoyed Rules of Civility by this author, which I read last month.

The narrator, Nicholas Guy Smith did a very good job.

16 comments:

  1. I picked this up once but didn't get into it as I thought the entire novel was bout his confinement in the hotel. It does sound as if I should give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved the writing and the main character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so glad to see you were reviewing this on audio as I've been wanting to read it and figured I would try it in audio. Now I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I did enjoy the reader. I hope you will as well.

      Delete

  4. Everyone I know who's read this has loved it. I don't know why I haven't picked my copy up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely everyone I know who has read this book loved it. I am glad you did too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved everything about this book and agree with all of your remarks. I read it in print first then a second time on audio for my book club. Everyone in my group loved it as much as I did. I can't wait for his third book to hit the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book was so well-written that it took me 2 posts to review it! It took one whole post just to recreate some of the amazing passages. It wasn't until the 2nd post that I actually reviewed the book! And I have no excuse for not reading Rules of Civility. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this book, too. Review What a pleasure to read! The writing in A GENTLEMAN IN MOSCOW is delightful. This book is full of elegant language, reflecting, I assume, the language of a gentleman,and plenty of sarcasm and philosophy.

    Frankly, I read A GENTLEMAN IN MOSCOW because I loved RULES OF CIVILITY. But they aren’t alike; A GENTLEMAN IN MOSCOW is better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every review I read of this book says how wonderful it is and it has been sitting on my shelf for ages. For some reason I am intimidated by it, but I need to get over that and just read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a winner. I still need to get to both of this author's books! Glad you enjoyed it. I might go the audio route.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds very good. The aftermath of the Russian Revolution was tragic. It can make for good stories however. The character of the Count sounds interesting to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this book as well. I can't wait for the movie to come out but it seems to have stalled.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one was recommended to me quite a while ago, but I still haven't read it. It does sound good, and I am so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.