Sunday, March 24, 2019

Kitchen Yarns: Notes on Life, Love and Food; Ann Hood


AUTHOR:  Ann Hood
PUBLISHER:  W.W. Norton
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING:  mostly Rhode Island
FORMAT:  -  print - library ( 229 pp)
RATING: 4.5/5

Part memoir, part culinary delight, author Ann Hood shares, in essay format, tidbits about her life, growing up in Rhode Island in an Italian family and the loves in her life.

In adulthood, the former airline stewardess and author moved some 14 times in 15 years yet describes herself as a "nester." To her it was important to always create a sense of home wherever she lived. Through heartaches and loss: the death of her 5 year old daughter, Grace, her brother and an aunt, as well as, through divorce and remarriage, it was cooking and creating that has sustained her through her grief.

Each essay in this book takes the reader back to a particular place and time in the author's life where food and meal prep was a comfort to her - recipes included.

The recipes are mostly comforting fare, definitely not for the heath conscious as they are often cholesterol raising ingredients, heavy in fats and sugar. I smiled when she stated the American Cheese was a favorite of hers (ugh) and that Thomas' English muffins were the superior brand (my favorite).

I really enjoyed this foodie memoir, the perfect book to enjoy on a rainy day or when you are feeling in a reflective mood.

8 comments:

  1. I loved this book! Just about to write my review later today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sound of this. I don't read many food memoirs as I don't come across them as a matter of course. But when I do read them I always enjoy them. I have two on my tbr pile, Hot Sun, Cool Shadows by Angela Murrills, a French based book and Christmas Chronicles by Nigel Slater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently read Morningstar and loved it. Almost to the top of the library hold list for this one... glad to know you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good that even though her memories of food are associated with grief, this is not a sad memoir. It makes sense that all recipes are carb and fat-laden as those are the kind of foods we crave the most when we are feeling blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I had read this but I checked and can't find it, so I may get a copy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right now I have the flu with a cold, can't taste anything. I love to eat, normally.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.