Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Chances Are; Richard Russo


AUTHOR:  Richard Russo
PUBLISHER: Random House Audio and Knopf
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING: Martha's Vineyard - MA
FORMAT:  audio (11+ hours) and eGalley
RATING - 5/5

In this story, three old friends from Minerva College in Connecticut, now 66 years of age, return to Martha's Vineyard, the place they celebrated college graduation decades earlier.  The place holds both good and bad memories for the trio as the woman each of them had loved disappeared on that Memorial Day weekend, 1971, decades earlier. Just what happened to Jacey, the young woman each cared so much about?

Together again, the three aging friends: Lincoln, a commercial real estate broker, Teddy who owns a small publishing business and Mickey, a musician, try to piece together just what happened to Jacey.  As each man looks back at what had transpired from their college days to the present: the Vietnam war and the draft lottery and direction that their lives had taken as a result, bits and pieces of their lives as well as the Jacey mystery begins to come together.  

Once again, I found this story to be another trip down memory lane in many ways and all that happened in those 40 plus years. I loved the Martha's Vineyard setting and that this was a very character driven novel. Each character was well explored, very human and somewhat flawed. The mystery element surrounding Jacey's disappearance added a lot to an already great story.  

This one was a combo audio listen (very good narrator) and eGalley read.

9 comments:

  1. That does sound like a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to college in Connecticut so perhaps this is one that I should check out, especially since you liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think this was quite a 5 star read for me but it was close. I liked it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cover. Looks like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad this one worked for you. I haven't read it, but I don't think Russo has ever disappointed me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, good. This one is on my list. So glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to read this one. It has been patiently waiting for me to pick it up. I just love Russo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm eager to read this one. I've enjoyed several of Russo's novels but it's been a while since I last read one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.