Monday, July 1, 2019

The Better Sister; Alafair Burke



AUTHOR:  Alafair Burke
PUBLISHER:  Harper Audio
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING: NY
FORMAT:  - audio/library
RATING - 3.5/5

When (2) sisters marry the same man and that man ends up murdered, do the police need to add to the list of suspects? 

Nicky is the first sister to marry Adam Macintosh, a man with a promising career. The two have a son, Ethan, but Nicky is a bit irresponsible and the couple eventually divorce and Adan seeks custody of their son. In the present Ethan is now16.

When Adam moves to New York City, younger sister, Chloe, a successful professional at a leading women's magazine, helps her ex-brother-in-law find a job as a US prosecutor.  Chloe is stranged from her sister but was always a friend to Adam. The two eventually marry and, once again, Chloe helps Adam find even a better job. This time the job ends up being one that Adam hates and their relationships gets rocky from that point on.  When Chloe is up for a big award and celebration at her company, Adam skips the affair, it's that very night that he ends up dead. But, just who killed Adam?  It seems that more than a few may have wanted him dead?

This was a pretty good story but not perfect.  I liked how the relationship between the sisters was well-explored. I actually ended up liking Nicky,  the first wife more even though she had many issues she was dealing with.  One of the detectives (Guidry) got on my nerves a bit but, the then author then did a good job slowly revealing secrets the suspects had been hiding.  There were some surprise twists that I hadn't anticipated. Not perfect but and enjoyable enough audio book production.

7 comments:

  1. I saw this a while back and was going to add it to my list to read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a lot of people who like Burke's work. It sounds like this might not be the book to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, thank you for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. A new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I like the title. I have two sisters and we have some issues. I was for sure never the better sister but we all still love each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not read this author before but the book was sent to me. It was unsolicited so I am not eager to tear through it but it does sound decent enough to try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.