Wednesday, July 31, 2019

July in Review - Favorite Reads



July was one hot and often humid month, we even canceled some getaway plans because of the frequency of thunderstorms and uncomfortable outdoor temps.  I'm actually surprised that I only read (9) books and (3) of them were children's picture books as well.

Our book group read for July was one I had already read and enjoyed: Before the Fall; Noah Hawley. Almost every club member enjoyed this book and thought it made for a lively discussion. 


Favorite Reads in July





  1. The Pawed Piper; Michelle Robinson - 5/5 (my shelves-July)
  2. Sea Glass Summer; Michelle Houts - 5/5 (my shelves-July)
  3. Bear's Book; Claire Freedman - 5/5 (my shelves-July)
  4. Ask Again, Yes; Mary Beth Keane - 5/5 - (combo/audio/eBook-July)
  5. Before the Fall; Noah Hawley - 4.5/5 (bookclub read-July/reread)
  6. If She Wakes; Michael Koryta - 4/5 - (ARC/my shelves-July)
  7. Searching for Sylvie Lee; Jean Kwok - 3.5/5 (eGalley-July)
  8. Summer of 69; Elin Hilderbrand - 5/5 (print/library-July)
  9. Chances Are; Richard Russo - 5/5 (audio and eGalley-July)
Places visited in July: New York, Maine, Martha's Vineyard, The Netherlands, Nantucket Island and back to Martha's Vineyard a second time.



Breakdown

Fiction - 9  NF - 0 - YTD - 91

Audios - 2
eBooks - 2
print     - 5
ARCS/Review Books - 7
audio/eBook Combos - 2
Borrowed from Library - 2
Off my Shelves - 4


August Plans (so far)


  • The Last Resort; Marissa Stapley - in progress The Harmony Resort promises hope for struggling marriages. Run by celebrity power couple Drs. Miles and Grace Markell, the “last resort” offers a chance for partners to repair their relationships in a luxurious setting on the gorgeous Mayan Riviera.
  • Keeping Lucy; T. Greenwood - (eGalley) in progress 
    "A baby born less than perfect in the world's eyes, a mother persuaded that giving up her child is for the best, a lingering bond that pulls and tugs yet will not break. Keeping Lucy follows a mother willing to give up everything to save the child she's been told she must forget. This story will have readers not only rooting for Ginny
    and Lucy, but thinking about them long after the last page is turned." -- Lisa Wingate
  • Never Tell; Lisa Gardner - (audio) in progress  Lisa Gardner returns with an unpredictable thriller that puts fan favorites D.D. Warren and Flora Dane on a shocking new case that begins with a vicious murder and gets darker from there.
  • City of Girls; Elizabeth Gilbert - a delicious novel of glamour, sex, and adventure, about a young woman discovering that you don't have to be a good girl to be a good person.
  • The Bookshop of the Broken Hearted; Robert Hillman - A tender and wise novel about love, family, and forgiveness in 1960s Australia, in which a lonely farmer finds his world turned upside down by a vibrant woman determined to open the first bookstore his town has ever seen--and to leave her haunting memories of the Holocaust far behind.
  • Hope everyone had a great month!

    12 comments:

    1. July seems like a good month for you and you already have an amazing start on August!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I loved Ask Again, Yes and Chances Are. . . as well.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I read Before the Fall with my book group too and everyone liked it.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Nine books sounds very good to me! The new Elizabeth Gilbert sounds very different to her last offering (title's eluding me) which I loved.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I loved Ask Again, Yes too... it's my favorite novel of the year so far! Looking forward to Summer of '69 and Richard Russo's new novel. Too bad about Women Rowing North.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Good month for you. Happy August!

      ReplyDelete
    7. I read Before the Fall for a reading group as well! It was an intriguing story. I hope to read City of Girls soon. Happy August!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Ask Again, Yes is on my loooong list of tbr's.

      ReplyDelete
    9. I'm listening to Ask Again, Yes and am happy to report that I may not be in the minority this time! I'm really enjoying it!

      The Hilderbrand and Russo books sound right up my alley, so I'll add those to my Audible list.

      You were in the Netherlands??? How fun!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Ha. Now I understand that you "visited" the Netherlands via your books. Sheesh.

      ReplyDelete
    11. You had a great month! Hope you're having a great reading month in August, too.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.