Tuesday, July 16, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Summer of 69; Elin Hilderbrand


On Tuesdays, Vicki, ( I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where  readers post the opening paragraph (or 2 ) of a book they are reading or that they plan to read.

Summer of 69; Elin Hilderbrand
Little Brown & Company - 2019
Prologue

Fortunate Son

"When the Selective Service notice comes for Tiger, Kate's first instinct is to throw it away. Surely, this is every mother's first instinct? Pretend it got lost in the mail, buy Tiger a few more weeks of freedom before the U.S. Army sends another letter--by which time, this god-awful war in Vietnam might be over.  Nixon has promised to end it.  There are peace talks going on right now in Paris.  Le Duan will succumb to the allure of capitalism or The will be assassinated and someone with better sense will take over.  Frankly, Kate doesn't care if Vietnam succumbs to the Communists. She wants to keep her son safe."

I started this yesterday and am really enjoying it, especially since I can relate to the time period. Does this one appeal to you? Is it on your summer reading list?

22 comments:

  1. I really liked this book ... hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE BOOKISH LIFE OF NINA HILL”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it last month and really liked it! I hope you like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard good things about this one from some of my other blogger friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one on my TBR. It's definitely easy to relate to the mother in the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does sound good. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quote reads true to me. I was tapped in March 1969 just a couple of years before lottery numbers 1-365 were issued for each birthday. My brother got number 352 and was home safe, but those days of the Vietnam War draft were spooky for boys coming out of high school and not immediately going into college for a student deferment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your brother was lucky Sam. Terrible, senseless war. Our neighbors son, at the time, was killed there.

      Delete
  8. It appeals to me. I may get it on audio since I have so many credits right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her audios are really good Les. Another good audio that I just started is Chances Are; Richard Russo - it releases the end of the month. This one too flashes back to 1969 with 3 college friends who are now 66 years old.

      Delete
  9. Yes this one is on my list as well as Mrs Everything by Jennifer Weiner, also in that time period.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.