Saturday, August 31, 2019

August in Review and Plans for September



August felt like the fastest month of the summer - I always say this, but, "it really, really flew by."  Back to school shopping for the (3) granddaughters (all will be in school full-time this year); (2) in Kindergarten and the oldest in second grade. 

 My reading continued at a decent pace (9 books) and it's been nice to see the temperature in the high 70s or very low 80s with cooler nights as we ease into fall.

Our book group read and discussed Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and everyone loved it.  (I read it in 2017 so I didn't reread it, even though I loved it as well).

No perfect reads this month, but most were enjoyable.
  1. Keeping Lucy; T. Greenwood - 4.5/5 - (eGalley - August)
  2. What Does an Anteater Eat?; Ross Collins 4.5/5 - (print/my shelves - August)
  3. The Last Resort; Marissa Stapley - 3.5/5 - (ARC - August)
  4. Never Tell; Lisa Gardner - 4/5 - (audio-August)
  5. Cape May; Chip Cheek - 4.5/5 (audio-August)
  6. The Summer Demands; Deborah Shapiro - 4/5 (library/print-August)
  7. City of Girls; Elizabeth Gilbert - 3.5/5 (audio - August)
  8. Turn of the Key; Ruth Ware - 4/5 (eGalley - August)
  9. Lock Every Door; Riley Sager - 4/5 (eGalley-August)
Places visited in August: Massachusetts (3 times), a Mexican resort, New Jersey, the Scottish Highlands and New York City (2 times)
Breakdown

Fiction - 9  NF - 0  
YTD - 100

Audios - 3
eBooks - 2
print     - 3
ARCS/Review Books - 1
audio/eBook Combos - 1
Borrowed from Library - 2
Off my Shelves - 2

DNF - 2   - Speaking of Summer; Kalisha Buckhanon (August
                - The Family Next Door; Sally Hepworth (August)

September Plans (so far)



  • (FINISH) The Bookshop of the Broken Hearted; Robert Hillman
  • (FINISH) On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous; Ocean Vuong (audio in progress)
  • (FINISH) 31 Day Food Revolution: Heal Your Body, Feel Great, and Transform Your World; Ocean Robbins (print - in progress)
  • (READ) The Institute; Stephen King's new book with releases on the 10th. I pre ordered the audio.
  • (PARTICIPATE) in the RIP 14 Challenge that runs from September 1 - October 31) I hope to post more about that over the weekend. This will be by 11th year participating.
  • Hope everyone had a great month!

    22 comments:

    1. Looks like you had a great August! I have Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine but haven't listened to it yet.

      I'm behind on my reading so some of my August books will rollover into September. Hopefully I'll catch up soon.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I am starting to see the RIP challenge on various blogs. It seems to sunny for that challenge to already be upon us!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It does seem early but, I do like that we get 2 month to read the books.

        Delete
    3. That was a lot of almost five reads though, good for you!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Your granddaughters are growing up so fast! It's still hot and humid here.

      ReplyDelete
    5. 3 of those books I'd like to read. Sad seeing DNF's. Happy September!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I have less patience the older I get for sticking with books that aren't working.

        Delete
    6. It's hot here still and will be for weeks to come. Love hearing about your cooler temperatures, but I don't want your winters. Ha! I've the Eleanor Oliphant book as well and talked with a book group about it. Like your group, it was popular and well-liked. I'm joining the RIP event too and will have my post up in a day or so. And I have the Stephen King book preordered as well - for my Kindle. Have a good weekend, Diane.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Darkness is coming sooner in the evenings, so fall is definitely on its way. My daughter has been back to school three weeks already. I wish your granddaughters a great school year.

      You got a lot of reading in this past month. I was hoping to finish my book last night, but didn't manage it until this morning. Good luck with the RIP Challenge. I hope you read many wonderful books.

      Have a great September, Diane.

      ReplyDelete
    8. I look forward to hearing if you like the Ocean Vuong book. When or where do you listen to the audiobooks? On walks or doing house chores? You seem to get through a lot.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The Ocean Vuong book is quite depressing; beautiful writing though.

        I usually listen to audios in car, when walking or just before bed (unless it's scary) LOL.

        Delete
    9. Sounds like a great reading month! I'm ready for Fall but our weather isn't quite cooperating yet. Hope you'll have a great reading month ahead!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Iliana, I like fall a lot and especially when the transition is gentle.

        Delete
    10. You've read a lot and travelled a lot during summer. I'm always behind on reading and trying to keep up! Four weddings this month. One done yesterday three more to go.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies

      1. I'm always impressed how many books you read and how good you are about posting reviews as well. 4 weddings wow, I haven't been to a weeding in 11 years.

        Delete
    11. Glad to know you had so many excellent books to read in August!

      ReplyDelete
    12. I'm still stuck on City of Girls. I have been reading it between some club reads that I really do not want to read but even so, not much progress being made. I am in such a rut.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.