Thursday, December 19, 2019

The Family Upstairs; Lisa Jewell and What Rose Forgot; Nevada Barr


AUTHOR:  Lisa Jewell
PUBLISHER: Atria 
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING: London
FORMAT: ARC
RATING - 3.5/5

Twenty-five year old Libby has been looking forward to finding out about her birth parents but, when a letter arrives it is not the information she was expecting. Instead, Libby quickly learns that she has inherited a mansion worth millions which has been held in trust.  The creepy mansion, however, has a dark past; it belonged to her birth-parents who were found dead inside in what appeared to be a suicide pact.  Police called to the scene found Libby, just a baby at the time, alive in her crib but, four other children were missing. What really happened?

This is one of those psych thrillers that will keep you guessing from beginning to end. Told from multiple POV both in the past and present, I found it a bit confusing and, the overall story ( dark, cultish) was just not my thing. I do like this author but, this one wasn't a hit with me.


AUTHOR:  Nevada Barr
PUBLISHER: Macmillan Audio
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING: North Carolina
FORMAT: audio/library
RATING - 3/5

I've read several Nevada Barr mysteries (Anna Pigeon series) which I enjoyed. Her latest novel is a standalone and it was really very different.

Wealthy, 68 year old and recently widowed, Rose Dennis wakes up in a hospital gown heavily medicated and strapped to the bed. She is unable to recall how she got to where she is now -- an Alzheimer's Unit.  When she overhears talk of her not making it through the week, the feisty Rose comes up with a plan. She is determined to ditch the drugs she's been fed in an effort to get her memory back, free herself from the facility and find out who is behind her getting locked away.  

I was really looking forward to Rose's story as it's not often we come across a spunky senior citizen in fiction these days. Unfortunately, the story, which is supposed to be a thriller, came across as rather silly at times. It almost felt like it made light of a serious subject like dementia. Hooked me early on but, overall, it was just not the kind of story which I'd expect from this author.

15 comments:

  1. I've seen several other reviews that make me think The Family Upstairs isn't Jewell's best. I just might skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have What Rose Forgot but your review makes me think I should pass on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the word on these two. I think I will pass on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family reminded me a lot of that family with the eleven kids, all different ages. Very cultish and weird. I enjoyed how it came together but it took awhile to get a feel for where it was going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm glad nobody lives upstairs here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading mixed reviews of The Family Upstairs so am not sure it's one I'll read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am taking a break from Lisa Jewell for now. I read two this year for reading groups. I am half way through Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon series, which I love! I will finish the series and then read What Rose Forgot if only because I know Nevada Barr was eager to turn to something else after 20 books about Anna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the Anna Pigeon series - the latest standalone not so much.

      Delete
  8. Interesting reading your thoughts on The Family Upstairs - I have heard a lot of positivity surrounding that particular thriller.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bummer about The Family Upstairs. Sounds like that could have been an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.