Monday, January 9, 2012

Mailbox Monday - January 9, 2012


Mailbox Monday is a gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week and explore great book blogs. January's host is Alyce@ At Home with Books.

It was a quiet week for new books, but it's okay as I do have plenty of unread ones to keep me busy for a few years :)

First You Try Everything; Jane McCafferty
Harper - January 17th

(description) - An engrossing tale of a marriage that’s falling apart and a wife who will stop at nothing to keep it together.

From their early days in college, Evvie and Ben were drawn to each other by feelings of isolation stemming from their wounded childhoods, passionate idealism, and zeal for music. Sheltered by their love, they weathered the challenges and trials of the imperfect world around them. But as the years passed, they grew apart. Now Ben has his sights set on a completely different kind of future—alone, or with someone else.
Convinced that Ben cannot live without her, Evvie begins to unravel, as she obsessively devises ways to reclaim the love that she cannot let go of. She gambles on a spectacularly dangerous scheme, one that may ultimately have devastating consequences.

Jane McCafferty has written a highly original, utterly beguiling, and emotionally satisfying novel about marriage. Told from alternating viewpoints, this gripping, psychologically astute, and madcap novel illuminates the power of love to define and transform our lives, for better or for worse.

 The Glass of Time; Michael Cox
(purchased for my Kindle)

(this one is a sequel to The Meaning of Night which I already own)

(description) - The author’s first novel, The Meaning of Night (2006), set in London in 1854, was told from the viewpoint of a scholar turned murderer, but this sequel, set some 20 years later, is narrated by an innocent, 19-year-old Esperanza Gorst. Orphaned as a child, she has been raised in relative luxury in Paris by her guardian and given an excellent education by her tutor. However, her world is upended when they inform her that she is to leave for England in two months, where she will be employed as a lady’s maid by the widowed Baroness Tansor on the vast estate of Evenwood. It is to be the first step in what they call the Great Task, but Esperanza’s ultimate goal will only be revealed to her in phases. Although she appears far too refined for her occupation, Esperanza is immediately embraced by the family, but Lady Tansor proves to be a difficult employer, given to hysterics due to her tragic past—the love of her life, the pretentious poet Phoebus Daunt, was murdered by an old friend. Cox so cleverly incorporates the plot of his first novel that his new one can be read by both those who are familiar with The Meaning of Night and those who have never read it. Great period atmosphere, a cunning plot, and an intelligent narrator make this one a special treat for those who like some history with their mystery.

38 comments:

  1. You must be back east because it's still Sunday the 8th here in California!
    I really like the look of your blog - and your review of First You Try Everything. In fact I think I'll try it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say to email me - if you want :) at simcarter@prodigy.net or drop by my blog - I'm a few months new at this so any stop by's are appreciated
    http://chapter1-take1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. First You Try Everything sounds really good. I added it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First You Try Everythig souhds like a good story. This one I'd love to read. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intriguing pair of books. Actually I think both have terrific titles--hope the content lives up to the covers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first book sounds like a very emotional read. The Glass of Time has really caught my eye and I will look for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It might have been a quiet week, but at least the books you received both sound excellent! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Glass of Time looks good. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have The Meaning of Night, and almost read it during a time last year when I was perusing the shelf and looking for something atmospheric. Eventually I chose The Observations instead (which was a solid book with a limp ending) but I need to read The Meaning of Night soon! I also can't wait to see what you think of this sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a friend who is recently divorced, and after reading this, I did some searching for more about it. From what I read, I don't think it is a book for anyone going through, or who has gone through, a tough divorce. The reviews sound like it could add distress to an already upset person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Glass of Time sounds interesting. Have a wonderful week, Diane, and happy reading. My MM is here

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these both look so tempting...First You Try Everything is one I definitely must read. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. First you try Everything sounds very interesting. I just finished reading The Odds, which shares a similar theme... to try everything/one more time.

    Have a wonderful week Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are both new to me. Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First You Try Everything sounds captivating and Evvie sounds like a wonderful and wacky character!

    The Glass of Time sounds so interesting and smart! I'm going to look into this book and its predecessor The Meaning of Night.

    Enjoy your new books, Diane :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the cover for First You Try Everything! Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. They sound captivating, enjoy!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/mailbox-monday_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. After loving and I mean, LOVING The Meaning of Night. I managed to snag an ARC of The Glass of Time and then got sidetracked after the author passed away. I've had it forever! I need to read it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These both sound good. I have a book by Michael Cox on my shelf but I can't remember which one it is. I've heard he's a good author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't heard of either of these books -- hope you enjoy them. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't heard of either book but they both sound good! I'll be adding them to my list. I had another quiet week too but I never seem to catch up...

    I love the header on your page! It always makes me feel so cozy. I would love to be reading there right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the cover on The Glass of Time. I love that it is described as history with a bit of mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't heard of the first one, but I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the sound of First you Try Everything. Enjoy your reads and thanks for stopping by my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've had a few quiet weeks in my mailbox and I should be happy because I have such a stockpile to get through but I do so love getting books in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Two new-to-me books -- they look great! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm intrigued by the cover of the first book. Also by the synopsis. Can't wait for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hear you on having plenty of books to read. I had a slow week, too, and I was happy for it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh those book look good to me! The first one especially intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh … First You Try Everything sounds really interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great looking books!!! Both are new to me...sometimes I feel like I will never keep up with all the new authors and books coming out!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Both books sound like something I may have to give a try to someday. I just wish there weren't so many good books out there :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.