Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday - Life Everlasting: The Animal Way of Death; Heinrich


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we are eagerly anticipating! Want to participate? Post your own WOW entry on your blog, and leave your link at Breaking the Spine. My pick is a non-fiction book that seems fascinating to me......


Houghton Mifflin Harcourt - June 19, 2012

(overview) 

When a good friend with a severe illness wrote, asking if he might have his “green burial” at Bernd Heinrich’s hunting camp in Maine, it inspired the acclaimed biologist/author to investigate a subject that had long fascinated him. How exactly does the animal world deal with the flip side of the life cycle? And what are the lessons, ecological to spiritual, raised by a close look at how the animal world renews itself? Heinrich focuses his wholly original gaze on the fascinating doings of creatures most of us would otherwise turn away from—field mouse burials conducted by carrion beetles; the communication strategies ravens, “the premier northern undertakers,” use to do their work; and the “inadvertent teamwork” among wolves and large cats, foxes and weasels, bald eagles and nuthatches in cold-weather dispersal of killed prey. Heinrich reveals, too, how and where humans still play our ancient and important role as scavengers, thereby turning—not dust to dust—but life to life.

14 comments:

  1. Fascinating! Thanks for sharing, Diane....and here's MY WOW POST - and here’s
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....I'm not much for non-fiction usually, but this one is very different and oddly appealing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure that's for me, but I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover, and agree that this sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by the blog. I'm behind as well, especially with leaving comments. But since it's Wow Wednesday, I'll recommend The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney. My post at http://patebooks.wordpress.com/ "On a Clear Day I Can Read Forever'' But you know that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy books about the natural world. This sounds like a book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love Heinrich, and have read both Summer World and Winter World! This sounds like it would be an excellent read for me, and I am going to add this to the top of my list! So, so thrilled to hear about this one today! If you want to experience his writing on nature, I would recommend his the two other books I mentioned above. They are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very different choice, enjoy!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/waiting-on-wednesday_2460.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Put this one on my wish list! Sounds like a very interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I kind of figured from the cover I wouldn't be reading this one. Lol. I think it might give me the heebie geebies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one sounds very interesting...animals actions are very thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting book and a great cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ewww...pictures of bugs give me the creepy-crawlies!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.