Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday;


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we are eagerly anticipating! Want to participate? Post your own WOW entry on your blog, and leave your link at Breaking the Spine. My pick:
June 12, 2012 - Doubleday

An dazzlingly inventive novel about modern family, from the author of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
The set-up of Mark Haddon's brilliant new novel is simple: Richard, a wealthy doctor, invites his estranged sister Angela and her family to join his for a week at a vacation home in the English countryside. Richard has just re-married and inherited a willful stepdaughter in the process; Angela has a feckless husband and three children who sometimes seem alien to her. The stage is set for seven days of resentment and guilt, a staple of family gatherings the world over.

But because of Haddon's extraordinary narrative technique, the stories of these eight people are anything but simple. Told through the alternating viewpoints of each character, The Red House becomes a symphony of long-held grudges, fading dreams and rising hopes, tightly-guarded secrets and illicit desires, all adding up to a portrait of contemporary family life that is bittersweet, comic, and deeply felt. As we come to know each character they become profoundly real to us. We understand them, even as we come to realize they will never fully understand each other, which is the tragicomedy of every family.

The Red House is a literary tour-de-force that illuminates the puzzle of family in a profoundly empathetic manner -- a novel sure to entrance the millions of readers of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

19 comments:

  1. I loved The Curious Incident...I'm anxious to read something else by Haddon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books centering around family dynamics. This sounds good and it's going on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family secrets are always a good place to start. This book sounds like one I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one of my contenders for this week...you beat me to it! Great choice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good. It is going on my wish list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Wow" is a good label for this one. It sounds like a total treat...with all the issues I enjoy reading about. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I love a good dysfunctional family drama, this one sounds like it would be perfect for me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having really enjoyed The Curious Incident I don't know why I haven't read any of this authors other books, perhaps this one would be a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good, but I tend to get lost with so many talking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh … this sounds good. It sounds a lot like his second novel, A Spot of Bother, which was quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds creative and complicated and funny. I bet I would enjoy reading it.. thx for sharing! I'm a new GFC. My Wow is here: Colorimetry

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm all over this one. Love this author!!! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet a lot of people are waiting for that book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much going on in the book blogging sphere it's just so hard to catch up. Thanks for the heads-up to WOW, sounds interesting. And so's all the book activities you've included in your blog! :)

    Arti

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love The Incident and this sounds like a great book too! I bet this is going to be very different.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great! Another Mark Haddon book! Yes, it will go on my list.
    Thank you1

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll be interested to see what people think of this one. I feel like I'm the only one who didn't really get into the Curious Incident book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.