Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday ~ The Uninvited Guests; Sadie Jones


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we are eagerly anticipating! Want to participate? Post your own WOW entry on your blog, and leave your link at Breaking the Spine. My pick:

May 2012 - Harper

(isn't the cover awesome?)
(overview)

One late spring evening in 1912, in the kitchens at Sterne, preparations begin for an elegant supper party in honour of Emerald Torrington's twentieth birthday.  But only a few miles away, a dreadful accident propels a crowd of mysterious and not altogether savoury survivors to seek shelter at the ramshackle manor - and the household is thrown into confusion and mischief. The cook toils over mock turtle soup and a chocolate cake covered with green sugar roses, which the hungry band of visitors are not invited to taste.  But nothing, it seems, will go to plan.  As the passengers wearily search for rest, the house undergoes a strange transformation. One of their number (who is most definitely not a gentleman) makes it his business to join the birthday revels. Evening turns to stormy night, and a most unpleasant game threatens to blow respectability to smithereens: Smudge Torrington, the wayward youngest daughter of the house, decides that this is the perfect moment for her Great Undertaking. The Uninvited Guests is the bewitching new novel from number one bestseller Sadie Jones. The prizewinning author of The Outcast triumphs in this frightening yet delicious drama of dark surprises - where social codes are uprooted and desire daringly trumps propriety - and all is alight with Edwardian wit and opulence

22 comments:

  1. This sounds delightful, and maybe even a little wicked too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love that cover. This one sounds very interesting and fun. I'll put it on my "watch for it" list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree..that cover is enough to have me pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cover is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this author so it makes me want to check out her other books too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes to the cover! The synopsis sounds wonderful to me. *sigh* Putting it on the neverending list.
    Thanks for finding this one, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow, this one sounds really, really good! I haven't heard of this author, but I love the cover and the blurb! Going on the list!

    Here's MY WOW POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound like something that is different than most of the books that I read, but also interesting and enticing. I am going to have to add this one to my list after reading this synopsis. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a wonderful cover! And the blurb is good. Sounds like an interesting read. It's on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a totally fun read, I can see why you're waiting on it. Now I am too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emerald Torrington - what a wonderful name.

    Not an author I know but I'll be certain to keep an eye out for this as I know my mother-in-law would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes uninvited guests are fun and it sounds like it here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh sounds really interesting! Great pick!

    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. new follower ::)

    This book looks awesome..I will have to check it out!!

    Happy reading and check out my waiting on Wednesday!!
    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/2012/01/waiting-on-wednesday-26-my-life-next.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've already pre-ordered this one for my Kindle as I *adored* Small Wars, but it's the first time I've seen the cover, and it's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Diane,

    Another great British author, who has been around for a few years now, and about whose work I know nothing at all.

    This sounds like the original 'Murder/Mystery' weekend and has made it straight onto my reading list, as a must.

    Your US cover is fantasic, yet nowhere near as spooky as the UK version ....

    http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/j/sadie-jones/uninvited-guests.htm ....

    I'm just not sure which one I prefer, what do you think?

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yvonne, I love both covers, but like the colors in the US edition better. I'm off to post both images; thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This just went on my wishlist. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great pick Diane - this one sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds good, I've never read anything by Sadie Jones

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.