Sunday, August 30, 2015

Goodbye August ~~Books Read ~~ and RIP X Challenge


I love fall, but always hate saying goodbye to summer. I think the beach is always most enjoyable after the tourists head home for locals.  September and even early October make for some of the best days to head to the beach with a good book and a small lunch.  

Since retiring in July sometimes the days seem interchangeable and although it would seem like I'd have more time for reading, I find I have less.  I use to read about 12 books a month, but August fell short with just 7 (and 2 of these were kids books a mere 20 pp or so). Here's the list with links to my reviews.  I liked them all so it's hard to pick a favorite.

August Reads--
  1. Summerlong; Dean Bakopoulos - 4.5/5 (ebook) (Aug)
  2. Wind/Pinball; Haruki Murakami - 4/5 (audio/eGalley) (Aug)
  3. What I Remember Most; Cathy Lamb - 4.5/5 (eBook) (Aug)
  4. Max the Brave; Ed Vere - 4.5/5 (arc) (Aug)
  5. Trapped: A Whale's Rescue; Burleigh & Minor - 5/5 (sent by author) (Aug)
  6. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory; Caitlin Doughty - 4.5/5 (library) (Aug)
  7. The Sunken Cathedral; Kate Walbert - 4/5 (eGalley) (Aug)
September Reading Plans --
                                                                                                            


It's time for RIP X


Fall means more mysteries for me and darker psychological fiction stories. In past years Carl of Stainless Steel Droppings hosted the RIP Challenge each fall; I've participated for at least 6 years. It's the only challenge I join these days. This year (#10),  Carl is passing off the hosting to Andi and Heather of The Estella Society and I'm sure it will be just as much fun.  R.I.P. X officially runs from September 1st through October 31st.  

You can choose to participate on several different levels, I'm choosing the one with the least amount of pressure --Read just (4) books in (2 months: mystery, suspense, thriller, dark fantasy, Gothic, horror or supernatural. 




Tentative RIP X Choices
Hope you all consider this fun challenge!

Link up HERE

11 comments:

  1. Good Luck with your RIP challenge Diane! I enjoyed Larson's Millennium series. Enjoy the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Sept is the best beach month! Too bad with kids in school I never get to take advantage of it right now, but some day :) And - you had a great month...who cares how many books you read if you liked them all! Quality > quantity! And glad you loved Summerlong...I loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have plans to go to the beach mid-October. I love it when it's less crowded but I sure do hate to say good-bye to summer.

    We wonder how Carl had time to work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also appreciate fall but love summer. I will miss it.

    I have participated in the RIP event in previous years and will try to squeeze in a book or two this year. It is such a fun event. You prospective reads look great.

    Happy fall reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading 7 books, while in August, shows me you had a good month doing other things. I had the same. Lots of family, laughs and love.
    Happy September reading, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that when I expect to have a lot of time to read (vacations, holidays, home alone days), I read far less than when I am busy. Something about the idea of having a lot of "free" time makes the time immediately filled with something other than reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spend more time at the beach in Sept. and Oct as well. Have a great September. I have In The Unlikely Event on my stacks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was laid off for a whole year, I thought I'd have more reading time. It didn't work out that way. Now, I'm back to work and seem to be reading the same amount as when I wasn't working.

    It sounds like you still read a lot in August and have good reading planned for September!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you are right on the ball with your August summary on Sept. 1! I am so far behind on my reviews right now that it may be weeks still before I do my Aug summary!

    I am happy to see summer go this year - it's been a rough one and fall is my favorite season anyway. Can't wait for the temps here to drop below 90!

    The RIP X Challenge sounds like fun - I may join! I usually read spooky, creepy stuff in October anyway, so it fits my habits perfectly (as you said, no pressure!).

    Enjoy September!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still clinging to summer - which is easy to do this week as it's been in the 90s. Crazy weather.

    I'll be joining RIP too; I'm only a week late. It's one of the few (and this year, only) challenges I still participate in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.