Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A Marker to Measure Drift; Alexander Maksik

A Marker to Measure Drift; Alexander Maksik
Knopf - 2013

Jacqueline is a twenty-for year old Liberian woman who is living alone in a cave on the Greek island of Santorini.  How did she get there and why is she homeless, starving and wandering the beach by day?  

Trying to survive and earn money for food, she offers massages to tourists. Initially, she trusts no one, keeping to herself. Gradually she shares some of her story with a local waitress who befriends her. This along with her flashbacks and memories of conversations she had with her family, especially her mother, give the reader insight to her haunting past. Once a young woman who once led a privileged life, only to have all that was precious to her disappear after the horrible conflict in Liberia under the rule of Charles Taylor.

The writing is beautiful and the way this story flows is very different.  I really enjoyed this novel, but most of all it was Jacqueline’s struggle to survive that held me captive. The story is painful to read at times, yet worth the effort. 

4.5/5 stars
(review copy provided by publisher)

8 comments:

  1. That does sound like a painful story but I'm sure stories like that are reality to many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds interesting. I'll have to add it to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book sounds very touching--great, short review, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You liked this a lot more than I did. I didn't think it was in the same league as 'You Deserve Nothing' Glad you found it worth your time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought You Deserve Nothing was wonderful (although the controversy surrounding it turned my stomach)... adding this to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this one but it sounds very intriguing. Adding it to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I does sound interesting. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like such an interesting story. In my opinion, this book should win SOME sort of award for Best Book Cover. I think the style of that cover is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.