Tuesday, February 4, 2014

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Headmaster's Wife; Thomas Christopher Greene

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us? Today's pick is a book that releases in March.

The Headmaster's Wife; Thomas Christopher Green
Thomas Dunne Books (St. Martins Press)
March 2014

ACRIMONY

"He arrives at the park by walking down Central Park West and then entering through the opening at West Seventy-Seventh Street.  This is in the winter.  It is early morning, and the sun is little more than an orangey haze behind heavy clouds in the east.  Light snow flurries fill the air.  There are not many people out, a few runners and women bundled against the cold pushing strollers.

He walks down the asphalt drive and when he reaches a path with a small wooden footbridge he stops for a moment, and it is there somewhere, a snatch of memory, but he cannot reach it.  An elderly couple comes toward him, out for their morning walk.  The man gives him a hearty good morning but he looks right through him.  What is it he remembers?  It is something beautiful, he is sure of it, but it eludes him like so many things seem to nowadays."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   
What do you think? Would you keep reading? Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below.
 

25 comments:

  1. Yes, I think I want to know now why he looks right through the old couple and what is in ins mind. Haven't heard about this book yet, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Diane, but it just didn't grab me. Here's hoping the story picks up after this beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd read on - books about memory always interest me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read and liked another book by a Canadian author, with the same title. I'd continue reading this one too,

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good book -- worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so-so on the opening paragraph, but I like the title and cover. I'm a sucker for "on campus" stories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both the intro and the cover... this would be a go for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm intrigued and would read on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite an intriguing opening...and I love books set in Manhattan. I'd keep reading. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd have to read a bit more. But I would because the title and the cover interest me. I'm anxious to see what you think later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nope, the writing style did not appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me at Central Park West! And the elusive, beautiful memory. I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love books about NYC--sounds like this could contain an interesting story as well as good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm intrigued, I'd keep reading. Thanks for hosting this blog hop. I really like visiting all the participants and seeing what they are reading. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  15. The heading "Acrimony" sends a signal, doesn't it? Perhaps what he thinks is something beautiful might be just the opposite. I'd continue reading.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds melancholy BUT, that's not always a bad thing in a novel. A good winter read, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cover drew me in as much as the opening paragraphs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would like to find out what he can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would have liked something on the wife!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Diane,

    You have me hooked and needing to know more, this man definitely has problems and is trouble about something ... In fact I was so intrigued that I did have to cheat a little and check out the link to the full synopsis.

    I was so hooked that I then had to check out all of Thomas's previous books and they are all as good as one another. This is another great new author for my list, so thank you so much for the feature and I hope that you enjoy the rest of the book,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I'd read on for a bit plus I like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The NY setting draws me in quickly--I'd read more, Diane! I hope you'll enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It didn't grab me so this one I would probably pass on. I am interested to read your thoughts on it. Perhaps your review will change my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.