Friday, November 14, 2014

A Visit From the Goon Squad; Jennifer Egan

Sound Library - 2010

When A Visit From the Goon Squad was first released in 2010, I recall quite a bit of hype over this novel and the fact that the author, Jennifer Egan, was award the Pulitzer Prize for her work as well.  I put it on my list and finally got to it .  The story started out with promise.

Sasha, a young woman in her mid-thirties, has had a troubled life. While she meets with her therapist at his office in NYC, we learn that the stealing is not because she needs or even wants something, it's just something she can't seem to resist. It has long been a problem for her. There is a somewhat funny incident in a rest room where she picks up a wallet a woman left on the counter and when she finds the woman frantic she gives the wallet back, begging her not to say anything. Sasha works for an aging record executive and former punk rocker at Sow Ear Records.

Just when I was getting invested in Sasha's story, she pretty much disappears from the novel. Then all sorts of crazy characters, there must be 10-12 of them, begin to appear and disappear from the story. The story jumps from present to past and back again, and the points of view change as well. Their stories are mostly centered around rock and roll.  The novel was just too disjointed for me for follow in audio format, and honestly, maybe I think I am just getting a bit too old for this type of story and writing. I doubt that I would have liked it even if I had read the print edition. Very disappointing.

Have you read this one?

1/5 stars
(Library Audiobook)

17 comments:

  1. Sounds really strange. I do think the goon squard lives in our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian, I think there are some of those in every neighborhood LOL

      Delete
  2. I've had other friends say this wasn't worth the time so I haven't bothered with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, this doesn't sound like my cup of tea either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the problem I have with most award winning books. Sorry it didn't hold up for you but I appreciate your review, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Mary, I typically do not rush to read award winners. Waited 4 years to try this...LOL

      Delete
  5. Sorry this didn't work for you, Diane. I also listen to the book (was pushed into it by my book club) and ended up being pretty impressed - 4 stars. It was definitely outside my comfort zone and got mixed reviews from our group.

    Here's my post if you're interested:
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2012/04/visit-from-goon-squad-by-jennifer-egan.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this one because of reviews like yours. I know some people loved it, but I'm not sure it's for me. I tend to prefer books that are more straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did read this one and it was very strange but I think I liked it more than you. A little more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this too and it looks like I don't need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read this one but way too often award winning books and award winner authors disappoint me too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grabbed this one up in 2010 and then started reading reviews similar to yours and put it off. At the time, I began to wonder if it was just a matter of too much hype affecting people's opinions but since all of these years later you didn't like it, I'm thinking it may sit on my shelf even longer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.