Tuesday, November 18, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Revival; Stephen King

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.

 Revival; Stephen King
 Scribner - November 2014
1
Fifth Business.
Skull Mountain.
Peaceable Lake.

"In one way, at least our lives really are like movies.  The main cast consists of your family and friends.  The supporting cast is made up of neighbors, co-workers, teachers, and daily acquaintances.  There are also bit players: the supermarket checkout girl with the pretty smile, the friendly bartender at the local watering hole, the guys you work out with at the gym three days a week.  And there are thousands of extras--those people who flow through every life like water through a sieve, seen once and never again.  The teenager browsing graphic novels at Barnes & Noble, the one you had to slip past (murmuring "Excuse me") in order to get to the magazines.  The woman in the next lane at a stoplight, taking a moment to freshen her lipstick.  The mother wiping ice cream off her toddler's face in a rode side restaurant where you stopped for a quick bite.  The vendor who sold you a bag of peanuts at a baseball game." 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think, would you keep reading?
Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads by linking below.
 

45 comments:

  1. Yes, I like the sound of this one, and how he likens our lives to movies. I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Laurel and when you think about it, many of us could have a movie or mini series made of our lives LOL

      Delete
  2. I haven't really read any Stephen King (not in the last 20 years, anyway), much to the horror of a blogging pal who ranks him no. 1 - this sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read any Stephen King novels although I've already promised myself I will in 2015 - that intro has a great comparison and I want to know where it will lead.

    http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - that's beautiful! It's like poetry, flowing prose or something. I love it. Is it really Stephen King, the scary story guy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it unbelievable? If you had me guess the author, King would be the last one I'd have picked for that intro.

      Delete
  5. I like Stephen King enough to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never read a Stephen King novel, maybe I should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephen King is taking the whole 'the world is a stage' thing to the next level! I still haven't read anything by him but I do love his writing style. After I start and finish 'Dreamcatcher' I might give this one a try because it sounds interesting! Thanks for hosting :) have a good week!
    My Tuesday Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe there are still so many who have never tried his books.

      Delete
  8. I don't read King / horror -- but hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephen King? Yep, I'd definitely continue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha - we both featured King today - I just finished Mr. Mercedes and loved it! Is Revival a King horror or more of a thriller? If it's thriller, I'd keep reading...and I loved the intro. But, like Beth, I'm not into his horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure Sarah, think thriller though --haven't started it yet.

      Delete
  11. Good beginning...but I'm always a little wary of where King will take the story going forward. I was once an avid fan, but I don't read too many of his novels any more because the plots started to creep me out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just getting back to King's novels. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, we would keep on reading. We like that spooky dude!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a lovely opening. I haven't read anything by Stephen King for a long time. The first paragraph makes me curious about where this is leading, so I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only King novel, I have read is 11-22-63, which I enjoyed. I don't watch the movies either. But King fans are King fans, so enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Though it sounds light and easy there must be a spooky element round the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there will be some creepiness - will start it this weekend.

      Delete
  17. It's an interesting introduction, but the name Stephen King on the cover scared me off. Enjoy your book and Have a nice week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have this one on my review pile:) Great intro!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stephen King is an amazing writer. I just wish he didn't feel the need to write such long books.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This one is already on my TBR list :)

    Chippy

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is book is new to me. The opening is interesting, especially since it was written by someone whose work is often made into movies. I'd read more!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw this one in the Simon & Schuster newsletter this morning and started to pine for it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL --- pine----is a good word. I think this will be a good one.

      Delete
  23. Definitely going to be reading this one. My copy showed up yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm currently reading this book, and I have to say that I LOVED the way he opened it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.