Tuesday, November 25, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph ~ Tuesday Intros - The Boy Who Drew Monsters; Keith Donohue

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.
Picador - 2014
PROLOGUE
"In the dream house, the boy listened for the monster under his bed.  An awful presence in the dark had awakened him in the dead hours, and he waited for the telltale sound of breathing.  Would there be breathing? Or would it arrive in silence, without warning? He would have no time to defend himself or save the treasures hidden in his old toy box.  The possibility of such an attack unnerved him, but he dared not move.  He did not dare lean his head over the side of his boat to check the space between the mattress and the wide blue sea of the braided sisal rug.  He did not dare turn on the lamp and flood the room with light and risk spooking the monster from its hiding place.  There was no breathing but his own, no sound at all but the thrum of his heart."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think, would you keep reading? Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads by linking below.
 

15 comments:

  1. I am definitely curious...I would need to read a little more to decide. Thanks for sharing...and hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds spooky...I'd want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I don't usually do spooky but I love Donohue! So, yes, I'd keep reading ... and in fact hope to read this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a chicken on spooky reads...not sure this one is for me, but hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of being scared like that when I was little!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with rhapsodyinbooks. This takes me back to when I was a child. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, spooky cool gets us every single time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember feeling exactly this way as a child. This sounds like a book I'd enjoy reading (assuming it isn't too scary!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes. Hard to tell if there is really something to fear here. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do want to know more. Mine begins with a young boy having a dream today. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can feel his fear! Great opening!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heart goes out to the boy. I have a feeling this is more than a natural childhood fear.

    (Sorry to be so late today Diane. I almost forgot in my holiday rush.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was a complete idiot who forgot to put her link into the Linky... le sigh! Oh well :) Better late than never! This intro is absolutely amazing, it actually gave me chills. I love scary books because they suck you in like no other! Thanks for hosting :)
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  14. What kid didn't have that fear? Childhood can be a magical time but it's not without it's drawbacks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.