Tuesday, November 4, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph ~ Tuesday Intros - Crooked River; Valerie Geary

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.

Crooked River; Valerie Geary
William Morrow - 2014

SAM

"We found the woman floating face down in an eddy where Crooked River made a slow bend north, just a stone skip away from the best swimming hole this side of anywhere.  Her emerald-green blouse was torn half open and her dark, pleated skirt was bunched around her waist, revealing skin puckered and gray, legs bloated and bruised.  Her hair writhed like black snakes in the current.  I poked her back with a stick.  Not mean, but gentle, the way you might poke someone who's asleep.  She skimmed the surface, bumped against a half-submerged rock, and returned to where Ollie and I stood at the water's edge.  She bobbed there in the shallows in a tangle of brown leaves, her arms outstretched, fingers reaching, and it seemed like she was settling in to wait for someone else to come find her.  Like maybe we weren't good enough, Ollie and me, just two girls with skinny arms and skinny legs who didn't know the first thing about death. We did, though. We knew more than we wanted to anyway."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think?
Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads by linking below.
 

49 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We definitely seem to be drawn to the same kind of books Laurel -- glad u liked it.

      Delete
  2. Wow what an opening! I'd definitely keep reading, so much so that I want to start right now.

    http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Margaret - glad you joined in this week.

      Delete
  4. I like the narrative voice in this. I have a feeling this is going to be a life changing time for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true . I think back at how childhood events (especially tragic ones) stick with you for life.

      Delete
  5. I have this on my list -- and now I'll have to bump it up. What an opening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great hook! I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, that's a beginning! I already want to know more... looks like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved that intro...even though it appears they have a dead body on their hands, the writing style was soothing. Will be interested to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first sentence grabbed me. I like the writing style, and I'd have to keep reading! I'll look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is quite the intro. I wonder what else happens on Crooked River?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the cover, then reading the intro it pulls you right into the story! Which sounds like it will be epic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is kind of gruesome imagery, but I would read more. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The intro made me feel as if I were right there. Great start.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am curious about this one and look forward to your review of it, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's quite an opening! I wonder what has happened and what will happen, in Crooked River.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't imagine anyone not continuing reading after an opening like that. I definitely would!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a compelling opening! I'd HAVE to read more. In fact, I'm going over to Amazon right now to get a copy for my Kindle.
    Thank you for hosting every Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gripping intro!! I've got this one in my TBR stack.

    ReplyDelete
  19. that intro kind of creeped me out, I'd probably pass. Have a nice week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that's what makes readers so unique --different strokes.

      Delete
  20. Wow! Talk about a beginning! I would definitely keep reading! I'm hoping you review this one soon. I'd love to see if the rest of the book lives up to this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.