Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween ~ October Reading

Happy Halloween Readers.  Living in a condo we don't really get any trick or treaters, but it doesn't stop us from buying some peanut butter cups (just in case) someone rings or door bell:)  

October was another month that simply flew by. We were lucky enough to enjoy mostly 50-60 degree temps for the entire month with just a few 30 degree nights. Lot's of walking and enjoying the foliage, which was spectacular this year.

Reading

I participated in Carl's RIP Challenge (Sept 1 - October 31) hoping to read (4) theme related books, but actually read (6).  You can check out my RIP Reads Here.

Other Reads during the month of October were:
  1. My Education; Susan Choi - 4/5  (eGalley) (Oct)
  2. The Farm; Tom Rob Smith - (audio & eGalley - 4/5 (Oct) 
  3. That Night; Chevy Stevens (audio & eBook) - 3.5/5  (Oct)
  4. Leaving Time; Jodi Picoult (eGalley/audio) 5/5  - (Oct)
  5. Memories of a Marriage; Louis Begley (eGalley) - 4/5 (Oct)
  6. A Dog's Journey; W. Bruce Cameron (audio) - 4/5 (Oct) 
  7. Five Days Left; Julie Lawson Timmer (audio and print) - 4.5/5 (Oct)
  8. Purr Therapy: What Timmy & Marina Taught Me About Life, Love and Loss; Kathy McCoy PhD - (eBook) - 3/5 (Oct)
  9. Sam and Dave Dig a Hole; Mac Barnett; Jon Klassen - 3/5 (Oct)
  10. I'm My Own Dog; David Ezra Stein - 5/5 (Oct)
  11. How to Be a Good Wife;  Emma Chapman - 4/5 (Oct)

Favorite Read -
Leaving Time; Jodi Picoult 
October - 11 Books
YTD - 120 Books 

November Plans

I definitely hope to read something holiday related and I have a couple of reviews to complete for books that I just finished The Girl Who Fell From the Sky; Heidi Durrow (very good) and Nora Webster; Colm Toibin (also very good).  Finish, The Remedy for Love (very good as well). The rest of what I read will be based on just what looks good to me.

Hope you all had a great month!

38 comments:

  1. I didn't think I'd be home tonight so I didn't buy any candy but I did make up goodie bags for the special kids on our street. Now, I've got a cold and probably will be home but might skip it since I don't feel great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, that was some busy reading month! Have a spooky cool Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great challenge results, Diane! I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying Nora Webster and The Remedy for Love. Both are in my reading piles, along with Leaving Time.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/10/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_31.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little backed up with reviews, but Nora Webster was very good.

      Delete
  4. Great job this month! I had fun with the RIP challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last year I ran out of candy and I bought $50 worth. This year, I spent $40 and if I run out, I run out. I can't see spending so much on candy but my house always gets bus loads of kids as it's the first in the cul de sac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, I would hate all that traffic, but it is fun seeing all the costumes.

      Delete
  6. Happy Halloween, Diane! New England is glorious in the fall. I hope to read Leaving Time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New England is pretty in fall -- most of the leaves are gone now after a very windy weekend.

      Delete
  7. We live at the end of a block and hardly get any kids, but do have some almond joys on hand, just in case! Great October reading. I hope to finish a book today to add it to Oct.'s total.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't get many kids, but I sent my son to the store to buy one bag for tonight.
    You had a great reading month! I'm reading Leaving Time now,and also enjoying! I have How to be a Good Wife coming up...I'm always anticipating my next read...it's silly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fantastic month for reading!
    Happy Halloween and happy November reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Child 44 by Smith, and I've been longing to read more of him. As for Jodi Picoult, don't you feel that she writes the same kind of book over and over? Sometimes, the drama wearies me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picoult does tend to use the same formula, however, her topics are so controversial, that I am always anxious to discuss. She also does her research (which a lot of authors see to just wing-it)

      Delete
  11. JDiane, I hope your Halloween was/is great! Got to rush...I'm doing my blog visiting between trick or treaters.

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had more kids at the door than in previous years but still had lots of candy left. Trying to ignore :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your 5 rating for Picoult's new book has me thinking I should read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list for this month - you got a lot of reading done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list of books; I have 3 of them and want a couple of more. Leaving Time was excellent for me 5/5 also though I haven't reviewed yet. I love elephants so the whole novel was like a love letter to the beautiful, intelligent beings who share our world but are so misunderstood. Thanks for a good post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. October was an exhausting teaching month, but I have read quite a bit. I haven't read a Jodi Picoult book in a long time, but I have Nineteen minutes on my TBR pile. Trying to decide what to read after I finish China Mieville's 622 page Perdido Street Station...

    ReplyDelete
  17. October was somewhat mild enough here too, weather-wise, but it's been so cold the last couple of days, so winter is finally here. Your October looks great in books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anxious to do some mood reading in November. Have a great month.

      Delete
  18. Isn't October a fun reading month! I'm hoping to read Nora Webster too--Toibin is rapidly becoming a favorite.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toibin is an excellent writer. Hope you will enjoy Nora Webster, Jane.

      Delete
  19. Make sure you give my Picoult a quiz a try :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.