Friday, October 24, 2014

2014 Kids Books ~ Candlewick Press - I'm My Own Dog; David Ezra Stein and Sam and Dave Dig a Hole; Mac Barnett (Jon Klassen, Illus)

I'm My Own Dog; David Ezra Stein
Candlewick Press - 2014

I'm My Own Dog is an adorable story about a dog who seemed quite content being "his own dog" and not needing anyone in his life.  

One day all that changes when he has an itch that is driving him crazy and that he cannot reach no matter how hard he tries.  He let's a human scratch his back for him and it felt good. Soon the human followed him home and the dog began to show the human all the things he liked to do alone.  Before long each has a new best friend.

My granddaughter loved this book and so did I. It's one of those books that will be read over and over again. It's a keeper.  The drawings are so cute and colorful, the typeface is fun and bold, with just the right amount of words on each page. Be sure to add this one to your bookshelves; a perfect preschool choice.

5/5 stars
(sent by publisher)

Sam and Dave Dig a Hole; Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen (illustrator)
Candlewick Press - 2014

Sam and Dave decide to dig a hole and they are determined to keep digging until the find something "spectacular."  They dig down deep, deeper --nothing. They dig side ways --nothing, they even split up in different directions --still nothing.  Each illustration shows them digging themselves into deeper and deeper trouble; exhausted by all of the digging, Sam and Dave fall asleep.

When they wake up what has happened made me scratch my head and think...what the heck? It's one of those stories where different readers will have different opinions on what has happened. Personally, I feel like I was left in the dust.

The illustrations are cute and very well done in earth tones on a matte finish. This is probably not a good choice for preschool children in my opinion as there isn't much to discuss other than to point out how big the hole is getting as they dig.  I haven't been asked to reread this one yet.

3/5 stars
(sent by publisher)

We did love Extra Yarn (2012) by this author/illustrator team though.

7 comments:

  1. The doggy book sounds really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved I'm My Own Dog too. I wish it'd been around when Vance was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun reviews today! I'm My Own Dog sounds especially charming. (I could read it to my dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm My Own Dog sounds adorable. Somehow I don't think my kids would be up for me reading it to them anymore (17, 16, and 12) but I might just need to get it for my youngest nephew who might still be willing to sit still for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute stories. I'm a sucker for anything 'dog'. But the book about the hole reminds me of being a kid and trying to 'dig my way to China'! Both sound like fun reads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm My Own Dog sounds great! I think the Tornado would love the flip with the human following the dog home. This definitely looks like one worth picking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Off to see if my library has I'm My Own Dog. Looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.