Friday, October 10, 2014

Landline; Rainbow Rowell


Landline; Rainbow Rowell
St. Martin's Press - MacMillian Audio
I finished this audio book a while ago and while the story is still pretty fresh in my mind, I wanted to share my thoughts.
Landline, takes place over a few days around Christmas. 30-something, Georgie McCool, the main character, tells her husband Neal that she can’t join the family who plan to visit Neal’s mother in Omaha because she has just ten days to work on her new television sitcom project with her writing partner Seth in LA. Her husband, Neal, isn’t any too happy, they argue and he then decides to go anyway with their two daughters. The minute they leave for the airport, Georgie begins wondering whether their marriage is over.

Georgie is so upset she isn’t getting much work done so she goes to her mother’s house in a town close by and camps out in her old bedroom, which is now a trophy room for her show dogs. Anxious to talk to Neil, she finds her cellphone dead, but an old rotary “landline” phone still in her closet from her teen days saves the day.  She plugs the phone into the jack and calls Neil’s mother’s house. Neil’s deceased dad answers the phone and they talk. Georgie is sure that she is going crazy, but after talking to Neil she begins to realize that the magical “landline” phone is a link to the past –fifteen years past. Their conversations provide insight into where their marriage took some bad turns.

Is this marriage doomed? Or will the magical phone save the relationship?

I was a huge fan of Rainbow Rowell’s Eleanor and Park and was anxious to try this one as well.  I found the writing both funny and touching, especially when she captures her characters when they are clearly not thinking straight. This story is all about communication and how important it is to make a marriage work.  For me, the whole “landline” magical phone was a bit much at times, but in the end it made the story fall into place with good results.  The audiobook was read by Rebecca Lowman, who did an outstanding job –even with Neal’s voice. This book will not appeal to all Rowell fans I suspect, but it’s still worth a try.

3.5/5 stars
(audiobook library)

24 comments:

  1. I had a good start on this one but had to set it aside and haven't been able to get back to it yet. The magical phone is a bit gimmicky but Rowell does such a great job with her characters that I can forgive a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is "gimmicky" - great word, but yet it made the story work.

      Delete
  2. of all her books, this subject is the one that interests me the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, perhaps you owned a harvest gold landline as I did? LOL

      Delete
  3. Usually I don't like magical realism, but I thought she did a great job with the phone bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New author for me and I like the premise of this book a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took me a while to get into the whole "landline to the past" phenomenon, but once I allowed myself to go there, it was fun. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, true suspend belief and go with the flow.

      Laurel, I owned a yellow and aqua landline...how about you?

      Delete
  6. I've never read Rowell, but have had Eleanor and Park on my TBR list for awhile now. I feel like the magic phone may make this one a bit much for me as well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read Eleanor and Park first Sarah, This was good, but that one was awesome.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your thought on this book. I did not know what it was about. I'm surprised it has magical elements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not one for magical realism, but do like Rainbow Rowell. Will probably choose Fangirl or Attachments next and save this for later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, not as good as her other books, but was entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the only Rainbow Rowell book that I've read and I liked it enough to want to read her other books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in the middle of this one right now. So far it's not my favorite Rowell novel, but I love the way she writes, so it's still working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think if you give in to the phone thing, then you enjoy the story okay. I thought it was ridiculous but gave in to it and ended up liking it. I just didn't like any of the characters!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am one who couldn't get past the gimmicky aspect of the plot. I liked Eleanor and Park, not to mention Attachments, much better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.