Thursday, October 2, 2014

Coming Soon to a Bookstore Near You - Nora Webster; Colm Toibin


Here's my "Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You" pick for today.  What do you think about this novel -- would you try it?  

Nora Webster; Colm Toibin
October - 2014 - Scribner

From one of contemporary literature’s bestselling, critically acclaimed and beloved authors, a magnificent new novel set in Ireland, about a fiercely compelling young widow and mother of four, navigating grief and fear, struggling for hope.

Set in Wexford, Ireland, Colm Tóibín’s superb seventh novel introduces the formidable, memorable and deeply moving Nora Webster. Widowed at forty, with four children and not enough money, Nora has lost the love of her life, Maurice, the man who rescued her from the stifling world to which she was born. And now she fears she may be drawn back into it. Wounded, strong-willed, clinging to secrecy in a tiny community where everyone knows your business, Nora is drowning in her own sorrow and blind to the suffering of her young sons, who have lost their father. Yet she has moments of stunning empathy and kindness, and when she begins to sing again, after decades, she finds solace, engagement, a haven—herself.


 Nora Webster is a masterpiece in character study by a writer at the zenith of his career, “beautiful and daring” (The New York Times Book Review) and able to “sneak up on readers and capture their imaginations” (USA TODAY). In Nora Webster, Tóibín has created a character as iconic, engaging and memorable as Madame Bovary or Hedda Gabler.

16 comments:

  1. Love Colm Toibin's writing! This one i already on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I've never been disappointed by this author Brian,

      BTW - give Zoe a pet for me.

      Delete
  3. I am not familiar with this author, but like the Irish setting. This book sound really good and I will keep my eye out for it. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, This sounds so poignant. Thanks for finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read anything by Toibin, but I have the ARC for this book and am eager to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have his book, Brooklyn, that I picked up at a book sale. I put it aside without reading because it has small print and that's difficult for me, but after hearing about this book and his many fans, maybe I will take the time to start it again--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rita, I can't do that tiny print anymore either. I loved Brooklyn too.

      Delete
  7. I like Colm Toibin--Brooklyn was great and Testament of Mary was thought-provoking--and I like his writing style. Nora Webster is on my list to check out--thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Brooklyn a lot and own Testament of Mary (unread still)

      Delete
  8. It's on my wish list, Diane. Good pick!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.