Tuesday, October 7, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Five Days Left; Julie Lawson Timmer

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. This one seems like it might be a bit sad, but hey that's good for my soul.

 Five Days Left; Julie Lawson Timmer
Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam - 2014

1.    Mara

"MARA HAD CHOSEN THE METHOD LONG AGO: PILLS, VODKA AND CARBON MONOXIDE. A 'garage cocktail', she  called it.  The name sounded almost elegant, and sometimes, when she said it out loud, she could make herself believe it wasn't horrifying.

It would still be horrific for Tom, though, and she hated herself for that.  She would rather do it without leaving a body for him.  But as much as she'd love to spare him from being the one to discover her, she knew not letting him find her would be worse.  And at least this was the tidiest option.  He could have someone come and take her car away.  Fill her side of the garage with something else, to block the image.  Bikes, maybe. Gardening supplies."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think?

Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads by linking below.




44 comments:

  1. Oh, this one sounds good! I wonder why she is trying to kill herself....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what's going on, but hope to start this one this weekend. I think I will like it though.

      Delete
  2. I love this one! The first paragraph sounds intriguing indeed. I'll try to look out for it. Have a great week, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound sad - and horrifying. She seems to be viewing herself as some sort of object that needs tidying away.I'm wondering if she will actually kill herself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the opening paragraph. I would keep reading. Thanks for hosting First Paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it's an Amy Einhorn book! Of course I'd be reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one grabs you right in. Sounds like an emotional read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard this one is a tear jerker....I'd definitely keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curious to start this and learn when she is planning on killing herself.

      Delete
  8. I read this one recently! Once I started I could no put it down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I am so happy to hear this. I think I will love it as well.

      Delete
  9. It sounds sad, but Amy Einhorn books are always excellent... so, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm planning to read this one . . . hope you enjoy it!

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had never thought about that, weighing which was worse, finding the dead body or never finding the person. Awful choice to have to make. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it either until now, but I would prefer to find the body -- not knowing must be so much worse.

      Delete
  12. This is one of those beginnings that has me asking all kinds of questions, so I'd have to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a melancholy beginning, but I've already decided based on its blurb to read it when I am able to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chilling opening. I'd keep reading to find out if she actually did commit suicide or if she overcame her problems.
    Thank you for hosting us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope things aren't what they seem. An Amy Einhorn book is sure to be a winner, so I think I can give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it's a great take off. I would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How sad! And how horrible for her husband. It is an intriguing intro. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be a winner with me. I need emotional reads from time to time.

      Delete
  18. It certainly grabs the attention. Being an Amy Einhorn book, I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don''t think I could read having recently dealt with the effects of someone close to me committing suicide. It is hard to deal with when you are the ones left behind. That's a tough subject. Thanks so much for stopping by. Have a nice week! kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've read this one, and can attest to the fact that it is well worth reading. It is sad, but I was completely engrossed in Mara's story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.