Tuesday, October 28, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph ~ Tuesday Intros -The Remedy for Love; Bill Roorbach


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.

The Remedy for Love; Bill Roorbach
Algonquin - 2014
Part One

One
"The young woman ahead of him in line at the Hannaford Superstore was unusually fragrant, smelled like wood smoke and dirty clothes and cough drops or maybe Ben Gay, eucalyptus anyway.  She was all but mummified in an enormous coat leaking feathers, some kind of army-issue garment from another era, huge hood pulled over her head.  Homeless, obviously, or as homeless as people were in this frosty part of the world--maybe living in an aunt's garage or on her old roommate's couch, common around Woodchuck (actually Woodchurch, though the nickname was use more often), population six thousand, more when college was in session, just your average Maine town, rural and self-sufficient."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


What do you think?


Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads by linking below.

40 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting story ahead....I liked the descriptions. Definitely want to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started it at lunch and hated to have to go back to work:)

      Delete
  2. Great description! I want to know more about this woman--is she truly homeless or just bedraggled? I'd keep reading to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great opening that grabbed me right away. I thought maybe she'd been camping for a couple of weeks. I would definitely read on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a one good opening, I could almost smell the eucalyptus.

    http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would read on. What is her story?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I *did* read on -- LOL. I loved this book. I'm a Roorbach fan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to keep reading, especially with the Maine setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what it is about books that take place in Maine, but I am with you on that.

      Delete
  8. This is a great opening. I have all kinds of questions about who this woman is. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice descriptions. I'd keep going

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the intro to this one. I would definitely keep reading and I'm even going to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the phrase "unusually fragrant" . . . Hope you enjoy this one . . . I have a copy sitting on my shelf of next-reads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just thinking of what is to come makes me feel cold. LOL I would keep reading. I like the intro and am curious to know who the woman is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it that we featured the same book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know if I'd automatically read more but I do want to find more out about this book. I love how descriptive the author is. You can really picture exactly what she looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Copy and pasted comment from Nise's blog because she chose the same book and I'm too darn lazy :)
    "it's funny---I was going to pick this as one of my new books with my gift card, but at the last minute I didn't have quite enough left on it, so I passed. Hmm, hope you review it and like it, then I'll grab it next time I get the chance".

    ReplyDelete
  16. The coat leaking feathers threw me for a moment until I realized it was a down coat. I'd have to be in the mood for this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow--good opening! Who is this person and what's her story?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've not heard of this writer, but this first paragraph sounds interesting. I look forward to your review, Diane. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds good to me. I recently read a review for it and made a mental note to look for a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. that's quite the description, I can picture her perfectly (and smell). I'd keep reading just to learn more about her. Thanks for stopping by. Happy Halloween! kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.