Wednesday, October 8, 2014

That Night; Chevy Stevens

That Night; Chevy Stevens
St. Martins Press/Blackstone Audio

That Night tells the story of Toni Murphy, a young woman who is released from prison in 2012 after serving nearly 15 years for the murder of her sister, a crime she didn't commit, but was found guilty of. She's an angry young woman and bitter for what she has had to endure by being locked in prison unjustly.  Upon her release, she finds all the people she cared about are either dead or do not want her in their lives. Even Ryan, her old boyfriend who she still cares for is off limits as part of her parole, (he was seen as a bad seed and together the two were wild and into trouble as teens). The only positive thing seems to be the fact that her old boss has given her a job and she has a place to live. 

The story is told in two timelines - Toni's high school days where she has been tormented by the in-crowd, her time in prison and her release and her search for the truth about who murdered her sister Nicole.  The story is told from Toni's perspective and moves kind of slow in the first half of the book. I wanted to believe Toni was innocent, even though we know she was a wild child, that she had  a less than perfect childhood and that she was subjected to intense bullying at school. I often felt bad for Toni and could understand why she was constantly wondering when the next bad thing was going to happen to her.

Toni also came across at times as an unreliable narrator, so on occasion I wondered whether she could have played a part in her sister's death. Yes, this story is part mystery, and there are a few twists along the way, but it also felt like a psychological character study as well.  Overall, this was an okay  -- who-dun-it, even though I wanted to hurry it along at times. The audio book was read by Jorjeana Marie who did a decent job with the narration, but another case I switched between both the eGalley and audio.

3.5/5 stars (audio and ebook)

11 comments:

  1. Hmm, I read two of her other books and really enjoyed them. Perhaps this one is not up to par, but just okay. Thanks for a good review. I have the e-book but forgot to read it. Now I might just put it off for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the other 2 books I tried by this author much more Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that this novel is just so-so compared to her other ones. I do have it on my stacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did like the two books I read by this author. Need to find this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this book but I haven't read it yet. You remind me to move it up my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just never got back to her after her second book seemed too much like the first....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been hearing this one isn't as good as the author's earlier books. Hopefully the next book will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder how you would have experienced it in a print format? I can imagine audio would be difficult in a book that moves slowly.

    But since I'm not a fan of audio, I could be biased...LOL

    I actually enjoyed the book...and yes, there were slow parts, but by the time things started picking up, I was glad I had hung in there.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this book Diane. It was one of my favorites this year as it highlighted the devastation of bullying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked this book, and I completely agree about her coming across as an unreliable narrator. That was one of the things I enjoyed about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree - this one was just okay for me. Some of it really rankled me, in fact. I kind of felt like Toni brought some of what she went through on herself and got a little tired of her whining at time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.