Monday, October 6, 2014

My Education; Susan Choi


My Education; Susan Choi
Penguin - 2014

My Education introduces readers to 20 year old Regina Gottlieb, a grad student in literature - early 1990's.  Regina has heard rumors of about the infamous Professor Nicholas  Brodeur, an incredibly attractive man known for his unprofessional behavior when it comes to young women --apparently the sexual harassment workshops the university requires were ineffective.  

Regina while brainy is also a bit of a ditz, but she is a ditz who knows what she likes and what she wants.  She wrangles her way into Professor Brodeur's seminar, and it isn't long before she gets a job as his teaching assistant, ingratiates herself into his social circle, and even makes a pass at his wife Martha at a party at the couple's home.  She doesn't stop there either. Regina is young, naive, loves sex, and is passionate about all she is experiencing like the many young women before and after her. She's also naive in believing that the passion and intensity of it all will go on forever.

This is one of those novels where every character is unlikable, everyone sleeps around, yet the writing is very good and very spicy. There is a lot of swearing and plenty of sex and the academic setting (felt like maybe Cornell) was the perfect arena for this type of story which is driven by the dialogue. The reader gets a glimpse of a more mature Regina in 2007 and explores the consequences of earlier actions. This book is definitely not for everyone -- lust, love, betrayal, offensive characters etc, but it would definitely make for some interesting cocktail party conversation.

4/5 stars
(eGalley)

15 comments:

  1. I had this one from the library but had to take it back before I could read it. I plan to check it ou again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone Linda, but worth a try - hope you read it.

      Delete
  2. I like how you choose such an interesting variety of books to review Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do relish books about unlikeable characters at times...who doesn't love to hate someone now and then? I like the setting and the premise. Adding it to my toppling stacks (or at least my list).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds intriguing to me...I feel like I could either love it or hate it. I don't mind unlikable characters as long as they aren't the first person narrators...I don't like to be inside their heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure what to expect. I guess I was thinking that the Professor was the sleazy one and Regina surprised me..LOL

      Delete
  5. I had given this book a try a few months ago but got nowhere with it. I need to check it out again. It does sound pretty intriguing, if only I could get past the stilted beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been on my wish list for so long... thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your review Diane. You have me curious about this book. I'm going to add it to my To Read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it, some think it's a love it or hate it book, but I was somewhere in the middle.

      Delete
  8. I'm guessing I wouldn't care for this one. Thanks for the great review, Diane!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.