Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Belzhar; Meg Wolitzer

Belzhar; Meg Wolitzer
Penguin Audio - 2014

Fifteen year old Jam Gallahue has not been able to bounce back from the death of her boyfriend, British exchange student Reeve Maxfield. Although the two only knew each other 41 days, Jam has been inconsolable. Her parents decide to send her to The Wooden Barn, a private boarding school for emotionally troubled teens in rural Vermont. It's part hospital and part school setting, and known for treating depression and other psychological issues.

At The Wooden Barn,  Jam is selected to be part of a special English class that studies the life and work of Sylvia Plath. A requirement of the class is that each of the five student in the class read Plath's novel, "The Bell Jar". In addition, they must do some journaling twice a week in an antique journal they are given. Through this assignment each individual is transported to a time in the past, a place they call "Belzhar, a word play on Plath's well known work, "The Bell Jar." It is through this assignment that each student begins to deal with their own personal situation that and the reason they ended up at The Wooden Barn.

I initially rolled my eyes when I thought about Jam becoming so unraveled emotionally over a boy she had known just over a month, but as I let myself suspend belief and go with the flow. I gradually began to enjoy the story. I liked how the teens bonded with one another as part of this exercise, by getting to the root of their personal traumas.  I do wish the characters were developed a bit more, and thought that the ending was wrapped up a bit too neatly.  Despite this I think readers, especially ones drawn to YA novels, will be happy they tried this one.

3.5/5 stars
(audiobook sent by published)

5 comments:

  1. I'm on the fence about this one. I've heard good things about it but I'm not typically drawn to YA books. I do like the title play on The Bell Jar though. I'm thinking maybe the audio for this one? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard mixed reviews on this one. I loved The Interestings, so had it on my TBR, but then heard there was magic in it, so took it off. I'm still on the fence about it. Sounds like you were a bit on the fence as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I roll my eyes at what I call 'young people drama' too but when I was young, boy did I have drama! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about halfway through this and while it's holding my attention, I can't say that I love it. Good, but not great. We'll see if I change my mind after I finish.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.