Monday, February 8, 2016

American Housewife: Stories; Helen Ellis

American Housewife: Stories; Helen Ellis
Random House Audio & Doubleday - 2016

I wasn't sure what to expect when I began reading this short collection of (12) stories.  Now that I'm done, I can tell you that there are no prim and proper housewives to be found.  In fact, in these stories one housewife seemed more outrageous than the next at times. 

I started this collection of twisted tales in the lives of some very insane housewives on audio and later switched to the eGalley, as the stories somehow felt less bizarre in print.  There's a seemingly perfect Manhattan housewife with a much darker side, a bra fitter whose spouse is having cancer treatments, and another housewife who talks to the dead in their own home, and a story with "Tampax" in its title as well.

Although some of the stories are sharp and funny can make you think about how absurd daily life can be at times I just didn't get what was supposed to be humor of some of the stories.  There was talk of dead husbands and the loss of a child that felt rather flippant and way over the top. Overall, I think I was expecting the humor to be more in the line of how David Seders writes, so it felt a little disappointing in the end.

2.5/5 stars
(audio & eGalley)

16 comments:

  1. The reviews of this are really mixed. I do love the cover but I'm not sure it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the cover as well and maybe my hopes for this one were elevated because of the 50s cover.

      Delete
  2. I love short stories and so might still give this a go...maybe dipping in and out if there are ones I don't like. Loving the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reviews seem mixed so you might be one who loves it Emma.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure I would like that one but the cover is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the 50's cover as well - just expecting different storylines.

      Delete
  4. Are THESE the real housewives of the USA? Thanks for your honest review, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this! Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blurb appeals to me, but most of the reviews seem lukewarm at best. May borrow this from the library and try a story or two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this one, but different strokes for different folks I suppose. It was incredibly hyped up. I was at my local bookseller and initially was wary of buying it until a bookseller saw it in my hands and said she just couldn't stop laughing while reading the second one (the one in email format). I appreciate your post, and look forward to others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad u enjoyed this one. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood? Not sure but, the reviews are mixed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you're not alone in being disappointed in this one. I can't imagine how anyone thought to make humor of the death of a child. Frankly, there is plenty of ridiculousness in everyday lives to write about - you don't need to make stuff up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.