Saturday, February 6, 2016

Week in Review and New Books

This was an exciting week here in New England as we experienced our first real snowfall on Friday - 4" of the heavy, wet snow that makes everything look like a winter wonderland outside.  (I love condo living - no shoveling, sanding etc.)  Here's a picture from of living room and a few of the little ones having fun.








I'm still fighting a miserable cold that has kept me at home all week except for a few quick errands. I did get some reading and reviews done so I don't feel like a total slacker.

This week's books read or reviewed were (2) books I really loved:When Breath Becomes Air; Paul Kalanithi (finished the end of January) and Looking Back: A Chronicle of Growing Up Old in the Sixties; Joyce Maynard (finished Thursday).  I do love when a book moves you and these certainly left their marks. I also finished the audio version of American Housewife; Helen Ellis, no review yet, but, I was disappointed by this one.

I have a couple other books in progress or needing to be reviewed. They are, The Madwoman Upstairs; Catherine Lowell - good - fun read.  I am in the process of reading River Road; Carol Goodman and French Leave; Anna Gavalda as well. Our bookclub selection for this month is, The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath (which will be a reread - think I read it about 15 years ago).

Lot's of New Books came in the mail last week - 




Weekend Plans

  • Husband's birthday is on Sunday -  we went to the theater to see a live performance and  Sunday family will be here for food and cake and then we'll lovingly get them out of the house before the Super Bowl begins and it'll be just the (2) of us for that. (Personally we don't care who wins as the NE Patriot's or Philadelphia Eagles are not in it this year.)
Hope you have a nice day and  great week

24 comments:

  1. Diane, I hope you feel 100% better soon. Rest up this weekend. The little ones are just too adorable for words! Enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I feel pretty good during the day, but nighttime it seems worst.

      Delete
  2. Hope you feel better soon! The snowy pics are wonderful and so are the kids.
    I have enjoyed a couple of books by Joyce Maynard so maybe I would be interested in this one also. I remember hearing about it when it released. Haven't heard of your other books so I'm going to take a second look at them. Have a good week, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita. I do like the way Maynard writes regardless if it's fiction or nf.

      Delete
  3. Ugh, colds are the worst, especially when it's blustery outside! I love that photo of your living room window! So pretty. And the kiddos are awfully cute, too. I finished When Breath Becomes Air the day before yesterday and thought it was quite good. I better draft my review tomorrow, while it's still fresh in my head! Enjoy the football game. We only watch for the commercials. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I 'll be looking forward to your review of Breath Becomes Air. As for the super bowl game, I'll only interested in the commercials as well LOL.

      Delete
  4. What fun snow pictures! Hope you are feeling much better and hope you and your husband have a wonderful weekend celebrating his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Iliana, I'm much better this weekend than I was earlier this week.

      Delete
  5. Looks like some great books. We sure hope you are feeling all better super soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you're better soon. This has been a big football year for our area - first Clemson and now Carolina. Our street is having a block party so we'll walk down and watch a little bit of the game in the cul-de-sac.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you were feeling ill and hope you are better quick. Happy Birthday to your hubby. All your new books are by new to me authors! Looks like the kids were enjoying the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you feel better soon. I envy you the cold. We in the middle of a drought. Hot dry no water and miserable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bet the grands loved the snow :) Cute pics.
    Have a fun celebration for DH's birthday. We'll be watching the SB game alone too - our team didn't make it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute pictures - the kids look like they're having a ball! I added When Breath Becomes Air to my wish list this week, and removed American Housewife... too many 'meh' reviews of that one. Hope you're feeling better soon, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you're feeling better soon. Happy Birthday to your hubby!
    What cute photos! Al your new books are new to me. I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you're feeling better. Snow always looks nice when someone else shovels it, and the kids look like they are having a good time. I'm glad we are having very little of it this year though.

    I wanted to request Empire of Things, it sounds really interesting, but didn't think I could find time for a book that size. I'm going to wait for it in audio. I'm listening to Eleanor now - it's good but not what I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear about a cold--and a miserable one at that! A perfect excuse to stay in and read in bed all day, I say.

    I'm glad you got a hold of Looking Back by Joyce Maynard. Would love to know your thoughts.

    I envy you your book arrivals. All look fascinating! Eager to hear your thoughts.

    Judith (Reader in the Wilderness)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad you finally got your first snowfall of the year. It's 80 degrees out where I live right now. We just got back from a walk. I am sorry to hear you have been sick, Diane. I hope you are feeling better when you read this.

    Terrible Virture is a book I am looking forward to. And Black Rabbit Hall. All Stories Are Love Stories as well. They all sound good.

    I hope you have a great week! Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm just recovering from my last allergy so I feel for you. Colds and allergies certainly make me miserable! I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you are feeling better...the snow pictures are great!

    I have a copy of that Joyce Maynard book, and I've been a fan of hers ever since. Looking forward to Under the Influence, coming soon.

    I also want to read Terrible Virtue...love Feldman's books, too.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you are feeling better soon. Colds are drags. Enjoy your week

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like the kids are enjoying the snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bet you were happy, with that cold, that you didn't have to go to work any more! Ah, the snow falls are so much prettier, too, when you can stay home and enjoy the beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.