Sunday, February 14, 2016

Week in Review and New Books

Happy Valentine's Day!

It's Valentine's Day and (-8 degrees) with the wind chill factor this morning. Needless to say, we won't be venturing outdoors this Sunday.  The good news is this is the last cold day and it might be 50 on Wednesday. Talk about crazy weather.  This week flew by and I am pleased to report my cold is pretty much gone (passed it on to my husband).


This week we went to the movies to see The Finest Hours which was very enjoyable.  It's based on a true story, a Coast Guard rescue movie, set on Cape Cod during a hurricane in 1951.

I stayed indoors most of the week and that resulted in a busy reading, reviewing and blogging week.  Here is a recap of books read and/or reviewed.

    
    I'm in the process of rereading, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath for my book group meeting at the end of the month. It's a great read and I am enjoying it since it's been over 15 years since I last read it.  I'm also reading, Eleanor by Jason Gurley and, I also finished reading a quick debut novel called, 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl by Mona Awad (no review yet).

New Book Arrivals by Mail




    Nothing special for today except planning a shrimp dish for dinner and making some warm soup as well.  I also think I'll reorganize a closet that was bugging me a bit yesterday:)

Hope Your Day is Special!

22 comments:

  1. Nice mailbox - Everyone Brave is Forgiven and Why We Came to the City stand out to me.

    Nothing special here today either - I'm making a pot of soup for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a nice Valentine's Day Kathy. Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. Happy Valentine's Day.

    It is really cold here too.

    I really want to see The Finest Hours. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a nice Valentine's Day as well Brian. I'm ready for Spring. It's 68 inside and I'm freezing today.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read The Bell Jar since college (in the sixties!), so it is resting on Pippa, and I hope to get to it at some point.

    River Road sounds good...and The Madwoman Upstairs. I am curious about Britt-Marie Was Here, since I enjoyed Ove.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bell Jar is very enjoyable - even more so this time around.

      Delete
  4. Oooh - great book mail! I have my eye on Why We Came to the City and Version Control! And I'm with you on the weather. Our kitchen faucet froze last night (we were stupid and forgot to let it drip) and 2 hours of hair drying it still haven't helped....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no frozen pipes:( Hope your week gets of to a better start.

      Delete
  5. Happy Valentine's Day to you and stay warm! Hope your husband feels better soon. I want that Harlan Coben book - Fool Me Once. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Finest Hours looks like an epic, rescue-survival movie -- with Eric Bana too, nice! Chris Cleave's new novel and Jansma's book are ones I want to get to too. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brrrrr! It is a good thing you received a load of books to curl up with. I've picked out a few for my list. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Valentine's Day! It's been cold here too. It looks like you had a great reading week. I've enjoyed Coben's novels and look forward to your thoughts on Fool Me Once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Coben as well Pat. Hope you had a nice Valentine's Day as well.

      Delete
  9. Looks like another interesting batch of goodies! Happy Valentines Day from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could shave off a few degrees to share with you! It's 87F here. I am glad you enjoyed The Finest Hours, Diane. It's one I would like to see someday. I have Bell Jar to read, but haven't managed to get to it yet. I hope you have a great week, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it were that easy to send warmer temps our way LOL Have a great week Wendy.

      Delete
  11. So glad that your cold is gone but sorry for your husband. :) We are having freezing temperatures too but it's going to be warmer from Wednesday - weird!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fool Me Once is an anticipated read! What a great reading week. We are going from bitter cold to unseasonably warm this week. Crazy weather.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.