Thursday, May 30, 2019

Before She Knew Him; Peter Swanson



AUTHOR:  Peter Swanson
PUBLISHER:  William Morrow/Harper Audio
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING:  Massachusetts
FORMAT:  - Audio - 10 hr (print: 320 pp)
RATING - 4.5/5

Hen (Henrietta) and her husband Lloyd have just moved to a new home outside of Boston, MA,  Hen is a children's book illustrator who has suffered from bi-polar disorder over the years.  When their new neighbors Matthew and Mira invite them over to welcome them, Hen can't help but notice a sports trophy on their mantle that looks exactly like the one that had gone missing two years earlier when a young man was murdered.  Although that murder was never solved, Hen was obsessed with the case at the time. Now Hen has a new obsession, could her new neighbor Matthew, a college professor,  have been involved in the unsolved murder, or is this beginning of another manic spiral for Hen?  

I really enjoyed this psychological thriller. It had interesting characters, a great back story that wasn't overly bogged down in detail and short chapters with hooks that made you want to keep reading.  A few things seemed a bit far-fetched but, not enough to spoil this one for me.  I liked that the author used real names of places and towns with just a letter change here or there).  This one was a combo print and audio read for me. The narrators; Sophie Amoss and Graham Halstead did a great job.

 If you enjoy twisty, and a bit creepy stories that will keep you wondering, be sure to read this one.

8 comments:

  1. I like short chapters with hooks so I may look for a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another goodie you found and it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! These are the types of stories I am enjoying this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twisty, creepy sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read one book by Peter Swanson and disliked it. So I never read another of his books. This may be a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thrillers really are the genre de jour and I am enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to listen to this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good. The unreliable narrator is something I need to take breaks from or they drive me crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.