Saturday, May 11, 2019

Miracle Creek; Angie Kim



AUTHOR:  Angie Kim
PUBLISHER:  Macmillan AUdio
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING:  Virginia
FORMAT:  - audio - library download ( 14 hours)
RATING - 4.5/5 


In this debut novel, Korean immigrants Young and Pak Yoo and daughter Mary run an experimental medical treatment device known as, Miracle Submarine. It's a therapeutic, hyperbaric, pressurized oxygen chamber where people with issues like autism and infertility go to seek a miracle cure.

A little lie, a big explosion and two people are dead as a result.  How did it happen? Who is to blame? It seems more than a few may have had some motive. A courtroom drama and ensuing trial unfolds over the course of four days.

Told from the third person POVs of some seven different characters, Miracle Creek is an incredibly gripping courtroom drama and somewhat complicated mystery. It seems everyone who takes the stand at the trial has a secret or is covering up a lie.  If you need likable characters, you won't find them here but, regardless, there is so much to like about book. The writing is so detailed and each character so well explored. Even the dead have a vivid story to be told here.  Definitely one of my better reads of 2019 making this author one for me to follow.

The audio book is read by Jennifer Lim who did a very good job.  I was concerned that the audio might be difficult to follow with so many characters but, each had such a unique story that it was pretty easy to keep them straight. I also wanted to mention how fascinating the author interview was at the end of this debut book.

14 comments:

  1. This one's new to me. It sounds very absorbing. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Have a happy Mother's Day, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this one recently so now look forward to reading it even more! Thank you for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't usually like courtroom dramas that much but this sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy courtroom dramas and this one sounds wonderful, but I may try it in print rather than audio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good debut novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of an experimental medical treatment device for people with autism and infertility. I also love courtroom drama so I think I'll look for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhh sounds good to me! thx for the review

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds wonderful. I may have to buy it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A few of the doctors that Gage has seen over the years have the chambers in their office you can use. We've never tried it, but some people I know have had success with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for reviewing. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it. Very grateful to you for sharing with your readers. -Angie Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for this great review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it. I'm so grateful to you for sharing with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, book sounds amazing. I also should mention that you and I seem to have similar reading tastes :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.