Thursday, May 30, 2019

The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls; Anissa Gray



AUTHOR:  Anissa Gray
PUBLISHER:  Berkley
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING:  Michigan
FORMAT:  - (print: 300 pp)
RATING - 3.5/5

The Butler sisters have not had an easy life but, no one is prepared for what has just happened.  Althea and her husband Proctor are well know and respected in the town but now, Althea, the oldest sister, has been sentenced to prison time for charity fraud and food stamp fraud.  They have twin daughters who are teens. The other Butler sisters, Lillian and Viola must step in to care for Althea and Poctor's girls, but no one is exactly sure how the arrest and sentencing even came about.

This is a deep story which focuses on black identity and childhood traumas.  Some of the characters are very complex, others not so much. Each of the women in the story seems "hungry" for something that has left them with an emotional void in their lives.  Told in both the present and in flashbacks, I started this one on audio  but, found I was having trouble with the slang and keeping the POVs straight so I grabbed the print version from  the library which made things a bit easier.

 An important topic but probably not a book that everyone will enjoy.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book but I'm not sure I'll pick up a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this one all over but it does not sound appealing to me at ALL! I've been so picky lately with my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep seeing this book compared to The American Marriage which I did read but I wasn't blown away by it by a long shot. I think I will pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of this one but did not know what it was about. I am mildly interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New to me. Title a bit strange

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.