Tuesday, June 1, 2021

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Count the Ways; Joyce Maynard


Welcome to First Chapter/Intros, now hosted by Yvonne @ Socrates Book Reviews
Each week readers post the first paragraph (or 2) of a book they are reading or plan to read.

Count the Ways; Joyce Maynard
Harper Collins  (William Morrow) - 7/2021

Prologue

"Toby was just a baby--Alison four years old, Ursula not yet three--the first time they launched the cork people. After that it became their annual tradition.

Eleanor had always loved how, when the snow melted every spring, the water in the brook down the road would race so fast you could hear it from the house, crashing over the rocks at the waterfall.  A person could stand there for an hour--and in the old days before children, when she would come to this place alone, she had done that--staring into the water, studying the patterns it made as the brook narrowed and widened again, the way it washed over the smaller stones and splashed against the larger ones.  If you felt like it, you might trace the course of a single stick or leaf, some remnant of last summer, as it made its way downstream, tossed along by the current,"

I didn't read the description of this but, does anyone feel the tone to be a bit ominous?  I love this author so can't wait to start this one in a few days. What do you think, read more or pass?

24 comments:

  1. It does have an ominous feel to it, and I'd be curious to know more about the "cork people" that the almost-still-toddlers launched every year and who was really behind that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce Maynard is a go-to author for me, I'm pretty sure once I begin this book, I won't be able to put it down - her writing has that effect on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this author before, but last week I put this book on hold because it sounds like a good read. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, Her stories do not follow a particular pattern but, the way she writes is generally memorable.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I am so envious that you have this book! I have pre-ordered it, so I can't wait until it finally arrives.

    And yes, beautiful descriptions like these do hint of darkness ahead, IMO. I love her work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we will both enjoy this one. Something about water and those 3 little ones makes me nervous already. Hope to start it this weekend.

      Delete
  5. The idea of the cork people and an annual tradition caught my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read a book by this author, but I'm now curious since she's your go-to. It definitely sounds ominous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never read Joyce Maynard. Is "ominous" a typical tone for her books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorothy, I would not say her tone is usually "ominous" but for some reason the mention of the 3 little kids and the water makes me nervous.

      Delete
  8. I don't think I have read this author, but the opening does sound ominous. I'd want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cork people? Sounds like an interesting book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would definitely read more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Maynard's books and will have to get this one, maybe on audio. She does a great job telling a story from a child's POV, so I hope we hear from Toby, Alison and Ursula. Thinking about Maynard makes me want to reread The Usual Rules, which was outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started this today and I'm loving the story and how descriptive he writing is in all the right ways. I loved to envision myself in the places she describes. (The Usual Rules was excellent.)

      Delete
  12. Plus the cover makes it seem a bit sad/spooky... Would definitely read more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have liked Maynard's books too ... so I say keep going ... and report back whether you like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.