Thursday, July 5, 2012

(5) Cute Books for young Kids

You may have noticed that I've taken an interest in books for your children over the past year. Actually, I've loved them even before I knew I was going to be a grand mother. Since many of my readers have young children themselves, I wanted to share some awfully cute books I've read over the last few days. Most of these would be for children in the 2 -6  year-old range, and the one about the death of a pet for children around 4 and over.

Big Cat, Small Cat; Ami Rubinger 
(author and illustrator)
Abbeville Kids 2009 - NetGalley

Lovely rhyming story book that teaches children in a fun manner all about opposites.  It also differentiates colors and shapes.  The fill in the blank concept makes this book for very young children a good educational tool as well.  - Rating -  4/5 stars

Six-Dinner Sid; Inga Moore
(author and illustrator)
1991 - Simon and Schuster - Library

Sid is a cat who is has a pretty nice life. He has six dinners a day, has six different beds, gets pet by at least six different people, has six different names and seems to have his owners unaware of all of this since they don't talk to one another.  Each family thinks this charming cat belongs to them until one day when he gets a cough and is taken to the vet -- six times, and his cover is blown when the vet lets his six owners know what's been going on.  Sid is not happy about his (1) dinner a day, but soon Sid finds a way once again to makes things work out for him.

Inga Moore is a children's author whose stories and illustrations I have enjoyed in the past. This book is another winner. Terrific in every way. - 5/5 stars

 Sneakers, the Seaside Cat; Margaret Wise Brown
Anne Mortimore, Illustrator
Harper Collins - 2003 - Library

Written by the author of Goodnight Moon, the story is about a fat little tuxedo cat who goes to the seashore one day with his family -- a place he has never been.  While he is there he encounters many new things to him: ocean, sand shrimp, seagulls, crabs, seashells  and more.  The next day as his family returns home, he has pleasant thoughts about his trip to the seashore.   

This one left me a tad disappointed. The illustrations were FABULOUS, but the story felt lacking.  I also laughed to myself as I've never known a cat who has enjoyed a ride in the car.
Story - 3/5 stars - Illustrations 5/5 stars

Peter Maloney and Felicia Zekauskas
G.P Putnam's Sons - 2011 - Library

This was a great introduction to counting book, and also teaches children the plural versions of several words as well. Each page has a single die-cut object on one page and when the page is turned the other objects are shown. For example, One foot/ Two feet (singular and plural) for each object. Mouse/mice; goose/geese; ox/oxen etc... The artwork and illustrations are cool and quirky and have both tiny and large images.  Children will be asked to search for a tiny airplane on each page as well. This is a fun and unique intro book to counting -- one I will most likely purchase. 5/5 stars

 Jane Yolen; author~Jim LaMarche; illustrator
Random House Children's Books - 2011
This is the most beautiful book I've ever come across to explain the anticipated death of a beloved pet in a non-religious way. It's the story about a cat, Tiger Rose's life from city cat to country cat and what she and her family meant to one another. It slowly eases into the subject of her passing, by celebrating her life as well. Only then do we see that she's gotten older, she's much slower now, has lost her appetite, her legs hurt, her memory is not so good.  Knowing her time left is short, she goes about it in a way only a pet can do. She visits her favorite spots, her outdoor critter friends  and says goodbye to those she loved, eventually passing away peacefully -- leaving her tired body behind and becoming part of the air, earth and sky......

The pastel illustrations are soothing and gorgeous and the story is so tastefully told.  It's a must buy for those who have young children and aging pets. 5/5 stars

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for this list. I am going to bookmark this one and see if I can get these for my li'l one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh I almost cried just reading your summary of the Tiger Rose book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With a great-nephew who will turn 2 this December recommendations like this are so gratefully received, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course those are some purrfect selections!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see a common theme here - and it's not just that the books are for kids. Meow! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may have to find some of these for my niece and nephews!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Big Cat and Foot book look good! We are working on colors and shapes and have just introduced counting so I'm always looking for new ways to work on these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cat books--I may need to get one, for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That last book sounds like it would be so helpful when a child's beloved pet dies, and they just need help understanding it all. I love books like this, and would consider buying one for my niece when she is old enough to understand it. Great mini-reviews today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is perfect timing as my nephew's 2nd year birthday party is this weekend and I am going to be shopping to buy him some books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Six Dinner Sid was a favorite for all three of my children when they were younger. I just showed the cover on your blog to my daughter and she said "Oh yeah. I loved that one." Then she sent a text to her brother and started a conversation about it.
    The whole idea of Six Dinner Sid is original and just too cute to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Six Dinner Sid but had forgotten all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I can always use recommendations for Gage. I never feel guily about buying him another book. I know he'd love several of these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our cat is named Tiger, so I don't think we could make it through the book about the kitty dying - I'm sure I'd be sniffling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Instead of a wishing well, my cousin had a "build a library" shower, where everyone brought a book to start her daughter's library. I wish I'd had this list then :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all of them and think the last one is really important to help a young child understand the loss of a pet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My son and I loved Six Dinner Sid when he was younger. I do love cat stories.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.