Tuesday, July 17, 2012

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph ~ Tuesday Intros

Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (sometimes maybe a few ) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along.Hope to start this one later today.



"It's beyond belief what you find between the pews, Mrs. Armitage was saying.  Coins and gloves you might expect, but socks and underwear?  Hair clips, buttons, handkerchiefs, and now look at these, these peculiar white pills.  She held out her hand to Father Diamond, who looked at it carefully and shook his head.  Mrs. Armitage, brushed the pills into the plastic rubbish sack beside her and went on: d'you know, the other day there was an old chap in here who was looking for his teeth? I said to him, I said I think you need a dentist not a church.  But no, he swore he'd left them here and we had to have a good luck round....."

Would you read on?

20 comments:

  1. This paragraph totally surprised me. I wouldn't expect to see/hear these characters in a book with a cover like this. It sounds good though. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my mind, the intro doesn't seem to match the cover - but I really like the intro! Will be curious to hear what you think.

    Here's mine:
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2012/07/tuesday-intro-diving-belles-by-lucy-wood.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The intro makes me laugh...this will definitely be a book full of surprises, I'm guessing. Enjoy!

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, yes! I'm already fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I would read on to find out why such things were found in the church. It sounds funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would read on! As a church secretary, I can attest to weird things being left on the pews! That is my Mon morning job to check the pews.

    Mine is here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, I would definitely continue reading this one! It sounds rather unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, for the humor alone, I would continue with this book.

    This week I have decided to go back to a child's classic Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingles Wilder

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow -- the cover is fantastic -- so freakin' creepy! -- and the intro is just marvelous. I absolutely need to get this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice one, like the cover. :)
    Here is my post if you want to stop by, I redesigned my blog too, would love opinions on the new look. :) Tuesday Tease & Intros Post

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like it--people do leave a lot of things behind on the church benches. My intro is from "Rebecca" by Daphne Du Maurier kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds very interesting...I'd read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this one earlier this year and found it fascinating. I'll be curious what your final thoughts on it are!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes I would love to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That intros pretty funny, but it doesn't at all match the cover.

    Carol's Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great intro -- yes, I would read more :) The cover doesn't reel me in tho.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmmm....not sure but being me I would read at least 50 more pages!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This one is not speaking to me like some of the others have. I might read on but I am not sure of it based on the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.