Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday - American Ghost; Janis Owens


"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine , that highlights upcoming book releases readers are waiting for. This one sounds really good to me.


American Ghost; Janis Owens
Scribner - October 23rd

An engrossing novel inspired by a true event about unresolved family history and racial tensions that threaten a Florida community.

With American Ghost, Janis Owens offers an evocative southern novel continuing in the tradition originally established by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings and brought into the new millennium by writers like Karen Russell and Kathryn Stockett. Inspired by Owens’s extensive research on a real lynching that occurred in the 1930s, American Ghost is a richly woven exploration of how the events of our past can haunt our present.

Jolie Hoyt is the daughter of a Pentecostal preacher living in small-town Florida. Disregarding her family’s closet full of secrets and distrust of outsiders, she throws caution to the wind when she falls in love with Sam Lense, a Jewish anthropology student from Miami in town to study the region. But their affair ends abruptly when Sam is discovered to have pried too deeply into the town’s dark racial past and he becomes the latest victim of violence. Years later, Sam and Jolie are brought together again, and as they resolve the mistakes of their early love, they finally shed light on the ugly history of Jolie’s hometown.

A page-turning blend of romance and historical Gothic, American Ghost is a triumph—the novel that this outstanding Southern author was born to write.

13 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this, but now I definitely want to read it! Thanks for sharing...and here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound great. I haven't heard of this one before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this one sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's something I'd be interested in reading. From your description of the book, it's a reminder that one doesn't need to go to Nazi Germany to see atrocities, some are much closer to home. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thanks for putting this book on my radar! I hadn't heard of it but it sounds totally up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am dying to read this one -- isn't the cover fabulous?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does sound good and like something that I would enjoy! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a huge Janis Owen fan so I'm really looking forward to this new novel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read anything by Janis Owen before but this sounds like a powerful read. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't have guessed what the story was about from the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm liking this one!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really intriguing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.