Tuesday, July 10, 2012

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (sometimes maybe a few ) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along. Haven't started this yet, but plan to this week.
 
The Bellwether Revivals; Benjamin Wood
Viking - June 2012

One
Incidental Music
 
"Oscar Lowe would later tell police that he couldn't remember the exact date he first laid eyes on the Bellwethers, though he knew for sure it had been a Wednesday.  It was one of those late October evenings in Cambridge when the gun-grey light of the afternoon had faded well before six, and the cobbled avenues of the old town were dark and silent.  He had just finished an eight-to-five shift at Cedarbrook, the nursing home on Queen's Road where he was a care assistant, and his mind was slow and heavy, laden with details of his workday: the vacant faces of the older residents, the pallor of their tongues as they took their pills, the give of their skin as he lifted them into the bath. All he wanted was to get home, to fall upon his bed and sleep right through until tomorrow, when he would have to wake up and do the same things over again."

Would you continue reading?

20 comments:

  1. I did read on but I didnt finish this one. I lost interest somewhere in the middle. Hoever many bloggers loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious and would continue reading... the cover also draws me to the book. Hope you're enjoying it!

    Here's my intro:
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2012/07/tuesday-intro-tender-is-night.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, your book draws a very vivid picture and I think I would continue.

    This week, I am in Amish country with Kate Burkholder Gone Missing by Linda Castillo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added this one to Goodreads just two days ago when the author was featured on Shelf Awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I definitely would....the opener shows us so much with those descriptions...I feel like I'm there.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think not right now. As I recuperate from cancer surgery, I need something more uplifting than this. At any other time - maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hadn't heard of this one. I might continue based on the opening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I could read this one right now, as it hits a little close to home right now. I will be interested in hearing what you think about it though, if you do go ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this beginning but when I looked up the book, I didn't think the subject would appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the beginning is very descriptive--but I'd have to read a little bit more before committing to it. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is definitely evoking emotions, but it feels a little oppressive. Maybe save it for fall, when the weather isn't so hot! I hope the Bellwethers bring some joy to his life. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would keep reading. What about you?

    http://pinucciasbooks.blogspot.com/2012/07/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would keep reading based on the cover alone, but the intro's not bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun idea. A friend and I just went through some of my books yesterday and read aloud all the first lines. Surprised at how many didn't grab us. Short story writers the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would keep on reading...I've been seeing this one on a lot of blogs lately!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yeah I would keep reading. This one sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would keep reading because I want to know why he was talking to the police and who the Bellwethers were. Interesting first paragraph.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.