Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday - My Brilliant Friend; Elena Ferrante

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

 
This week's selection is a book by an author that I've enjoyed in the past -- several times actually:
 

Europa Editions - September 25, 2012

A modern masterpiece from one of Italy's most acclaimed authors, My Brilliant Friend is a rich, intense, and generous-hearted story about two friends, Elena and Lila. Ferrante's inimitable style lends itself perfectly to a meticulous portrait of these two women that is also the story of a nation and a touching meditation on the nature of friendship. The story begins in the 1950s, in a poor but vibrant neighborhood on the outskirts of Naples. Growing up on these tough streets the two girls learn to rely on each other ahead of anyone or anything else. As they grow, as their paths repeatedly diverge and converge, Elena and Lila remain best friends whose respective destinies are reflected and refracted in the other. They are likewise the embodiments of a nation undergoing momentous change. Through the lives of these two women, Ferrante tells the story of a neighborhood, a city, and a country as it is transformed in ways that, in turn, also transform the relationship between her protagonists, the unforgettable Elena and Lila. 

Ferrante is the author of three previous works of critically acclaimed fiction: The Days of Abandonment, Troubling Love, and The Lost Daughter. With this novel, the first in a trilogy, she proves herself to be one of Italy's great storytellers. She has given her readers a masterfully plotted page-turner, abundant and generous in its narrative details and characterizations, that is also a stylish work of literary fiction destined to delight her many fans and win new readers to her fiction.

11 comments:

  1. I just saw this one somewhere...it looks really good! I am not familiar with this author - I'll have to see what other books she has written that I can add to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one's been on Shelf Awareness and it does look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds real good, Diane. Books set in Italy are so delightful. Have a fun 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaagghhh I want this soo bad! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one caught my eye on Shelf Awareness too. Did you see Europa Editions is offering a download of a summer sampler of excerpts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a book that I have not heard of before, but now that I have, I need to have it! I love emotionally rich sagas, and need to see if I can grab this one when it comes out. Great review today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great. Your great reviews of Ferrante's work are what put her on my Europa Challenge list for this year. I hope you enjoy this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that does sound really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy your reviews. You share so many interesting books. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another Europa book!! Bet you will be adding this one to your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another Europa edition! Bet you will be adding this one to your collection!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.