Tuesday, July 31, 2012

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros

 
I'm semi-unplugged for a few weeks, but  as host of First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, I will still be posting on Tuesdays the intros of a book I am reading or thinking about reading. 

Feel free to join in by posting the opening paragraph (sometimes maybe a few ) of a book you decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Grab the banner and play along. I am actually listening to the audio of this one, but have the eGalley as well.


 Heading Out to Wonderful; Robert Goolrick

"The thing is, all memory is fiction. You have to remember that. Of course, there are things that actually, certifiably happened, things you can pinpoint the day, the hour, the minute. When you think about it, though, those things, mostly seem to happen to other people. 

This story actually happened, and it happened pretty much the way I am going to tell it to you.  It's a true story as much as six decades or telling and remembering can allow it to be true.  Time changes things, and you don't always get everything right. You remember a little thing clear as a bell, the weather, say, or the splash of light on the river's ripples as the sun was going down into the black pines. things not even connected to anything in particular, while other things, big things even, come completely disconnected and no longer have any shape or sound. The little things seem more real than the big things."

So what's your opinion? Would you keep on reading?  I've read about 25% and so far so good.

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think I'm in love with this book just from the first paragraph. I've started a memoir, and I think his words are very true about memory. I'm having trouble leaving my URL, so sorry about the deleted comment above.
    Here’s mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that opening! Heading Out to Wonderful is already on my wish list.

    I posted an intro from my favorite Maeve Binchy novel... was saddened to learn of her death yesterday.
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2012/07/tuesday-intro-circle-of-friends.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I would continue...if I remember!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved his first book so yes, I would keep reading!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am curious as to where the story is going, but my interest is not fully piqued. I would have to read a little bit more.

    This week I am slowing down a bit with Touching Stars by Emilie Richards. It is a slow and meandering story that is good for a hot summer day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't crazily impressed with Goolrick's last book, but this one sounds quite different, and like something that I would enjoy. I think I would keep reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I already read this, and in some ways I didn't like the story but I love his writing so much it didn't matter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The intro is thoughtful and engaging. I'd read the rest of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the writing and yes, I'd pick it up for that...

    Here is my Tuesday Intro post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI, stopping by for the tuesday post, Here is mine (sorry I am late, been a long day)
    Tues Teaser and Intros

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would keep reading. I loved his first book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just finished this. Lovely read, though I didn't like it as much as A Reliable Wife.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.