Thursday, September 10, 2009

140 - Loitering With Intent; Stuart Woods






Stuart Woods was one thriller writer I always looked forward to, especially his Stone Barrington character novels. Let me just say, IMO since Woods has started producing three books a year, the quality of his books has declined.

Loitering With Intent is a fluff-filled, thriller, with a twist that is not really a twist, Stone Barrington is at his favorite hangout in New York City, when Bill Eggers brings him a client, Warren Keating, who’s hoping Barrington can track down his son Evan, so that he can sell the family business. His son's signature is required to accomplish this.

Since it is winter in NYC, and this assignment is in Key West, Florida, Stone and his buddy NYCPD Dino Bacchetti head for the Florida Keys. When he finally tracks Evan down, he refuses to sign the off on the deal that is worth some $20 million. Before he can press the issue, Stone gets injured by Evan's protective girlfriend, Gigi. Then in typically Stone Barrington style, he ends up in bed with Annika Swenson, a beautiful Swedish doctor who examines his head wound. Still in pursuit of Evans, when he finds him Stone learns that Evan's father Warren may be up to no good. Stone agrees to help Evan, and of course, this decision is one he'll begin to regret.

This audio book was read by Tony Roberts, who does a good enough job with the NY accents, and playing the role of Stone Barrington, dry humor and all. If you feel the need to waste some time, on a boring thriller with little substance, and you don't mind swearing and sexual escapes, then try this book. My recommendation: "Too many books, too little time" to waste on this one.

10 comments:

  1. Don't you hate it when you look forward to a book and it lets you down big time? Like you say there are just too many good books to waste time on bad ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, what a shame. Thanks for letting us know to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I just hate when a favorite author lets me down. Sorry this was a stinker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review -- hate it when series get worse with each book. Shouldn't they get better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that this series has gone rapidly downhill...I still read them when I want a book I can blow through in a couple of hours, but they aren't nearly as good as his older stuff.

    I read this one recently and haven't bothered to write a review...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think when pretty much anyone is producing three books a year the quality goes down. There may be exceptions to this, but I think that good writing generally takes more time than that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm giving this one a pass. I totally trust your judgment and I'm not worried that I will be missing out on anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even churning out one book per year is too much. I just do not read the authors who do this any more (except for Michael Connelly, who seems to be able to pull this off). Jodi Picoult is a prime offender IMO....very sloppy writing and poor research.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear this one turned out to be a dud. I haven't yet read anything by Stuart, but I've been curious to.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.