Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday



Waiting on Wednesday is the brain child of Jill from Breaking the Spine. Check out her blog for more upcoming releases that bloggers are waiting patiently for.



Author: Michael Crichton
Pub Date: November 24, 2009

Synopsis: The Caribbean, 1665. A remote colony of the English crown, the island of Jamaica holds out against the vast supremacy of the Spanish empire. Devoid of London’s luxuries, Port Royal, its capital, is a cutthroat town of taverns, grog shops, and bawdy houses. In this steamy climate, life can end swiftly by dysentery—or dagger. But for a daring soul like Captain Edward Hunter, this wild outpost in the New World can also lead to great fortune, if he abides by the island’s code. In the name of His Majesty King Charles II of England, gold in Spanish hands is gold for the taking and the law of the land rests with those ruthless enough to make it.


Word in port is that the Spanish galleon El Trinidad, fresh from New Spain, is awaiting repairs in nearby Matanceros. Heavily fortified, the impregnable Spanish harbor is guarded by the bloodthirsty Cazalla, a favorite commander of King Philip IV. With the Jamaican governor’s backing, Hunter assembles a crew of ruffians to infiltrate the enemy island and commandeer the galleon and its fortune in Spanish gold. The raid is as perilous as the bloodiest tales of Matanceros legend, and Hunter will lose more than one man before he makes it onto the island’s shores, where dense jungle and the firepower of Spanish infantry stand between him and the treasure.

With the help of his cunning band, Hunter hijacks El Trinidad and escapes the deadly clutches of Cazalla, leaving plenty of carnage in his wake. But the danger—and adventure—are only just beginning.

20 comments:

  1. My whole family's waiting on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting for this book too! I'm a big Michael Crichton fan - especially his older books. I am especially keen to read it now that I know Speilburg has bought the rights to the movie - he hasn't done that for the last few books of his. I'm just sad Crichton died, so we don't have any more books to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael Crichton is such a good writer. This sounds like it'll be a great pirate story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a while since I read Crichton but this one sounds riveting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one will sell like hot cakes! It looks like a lot of fun! Any idea who they're casting for the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am waiting on this one also. Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait for this either - both DH and I plan on reading it. I love Michael Crichton.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks very good. I enjoy Crichton novels though I haven't read any in a while. Thank you for putting his name back on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Diane...I participated in another Wednesday meme, hosted by Sassy Brit, and you have been tagged!

    Check it out on http://laurelrainsnowcreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does sound like an interesting book, and it's that last one he completed before his death.

    BTW, I found that the thing that loads up really slowly on your blog is the search widget on your sidebar. If you take that off, I wonder if that will solve the speed problems.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pirates!
    I read a few of his earlier books, but not in a long time.
    I though when I read this "but I thought he died." which, of course, he did...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love pirate books, and had no idea this was even coming out! This book looks really exciting, and now I will be waiting too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, my hubby and kids are waiting for this. I think we have all his books on the shelves. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. another one excited for this book! Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I ought to read my Crichton books soon. This one sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband is waiting on this one and I must admit I think it sounds pretty good to me also :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is this one that he finished before he died or is someone finishing it up posthumously?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hear Speilberg is waiting to make this one into a movie. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jenners...yes this is the completed manuscript that was found after his death.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't read him in a long time...sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.