Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fall Into Reading 2009 Challenge


Completed - 12/3/09
I had a lot of fun with this challenge in 2008, so I am so happy that Katrina is kind enough to host it again. The rules are simple, and I love it, since it helps me to read books from my shelf. I'm hoping to read (15) books for this challenge. Here's some basic info about the challenge:

  • Fall Into Reading 2009 is a fun, low-pressure reading challenge open to anyone and everyone.
  • It will take place September 22nd-December 20th (which, not surprisingly, is the fall of 2009).
  • To participate, here’s what you need to do: Create a list of some books you’d like to read or finish this fall. This is the only real requirement for participating in the challenge.
  • Write a blog post that includes the list of books you want to read (and any additional goals you’ve set), and get ready to post it on your blog on September 22nd.
    Visit Callapidder Days on September 22nd to sign up for the challenge.
This is my list:
  1. Still Life; Louise Penny - recommended
  2. A Brutal Telling; Louise Penney (review) - recommended
  3. What the Dead Know; Laura Lippman - recommended
  4. The Haunting of Hill House; Shirley Jackson - recommended
  5. Tortilla Flat; John Steinbeck - recommended
  6. Baking Cakes in Kigali; Gaile Parkin (review) - recommended
  7. Picking Bones From Ash; Mockett - recommended
  8. Her Fearful Symmetry; Niffennegger (review) - recommended
  9. The Broken Window; Jeffery Deaver - recommended
  10. Traveling With Pomegranates; Kidd Monk and Taylor - disappointed
  11. Away; Amy Bloom - recommended
  12. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane; Katherine Howe (review) - recommended
  13. Half Broke Horses; Jeanette Walls (review) - highly recommended
  14. A Change in Altitude; Anita Shreve (review) - disappointed
  15. Wishin' and Hopin: A Christmas Story; Lamb (review) - recommended

17 comments:

  1. I am joining this one too. I have to get my other challenges finished, so I thought this was an ideal way of wrapping them up.

    I hope you enjoy The Post Office Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this one last year and failed miserably. I hope you do better than I did. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I can't wait to see some of the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NIce list and I have some of the same books up for this fall too. I didn't join the challenge this year -- just too many challenges on my plate at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, 15 books! I chose 4...only because I know that I will freak out if I can't finish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I want to read A Change in Altitude. I just got a 30% off coupon for it. We're allowed to add to our Fall Challenge list, right?! LOL

    My list is waaay to long as it is, but I see everyone's lists and they look so "yummy!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Brutal Telling on my list as well. Need to read it first. Circle of Souls and The Physick book - read both and very very good. Look forward to hearing what you think of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only one of these I've read is Tortilla Flat. I love Steinbeck! Good luck with your list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeanette Walls has another book? I'm going to check that one out. Your list is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice list! I usually change my life halfway through the challenge. This time I created a second list to choose from too. Hopefully I won't change that list either! I like that this challenge is soooo laid-back.
    Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just added Promised World to my want-to-read list today. And I had never heard of Louise Penney before, but she's showing up on a few lists...I'll have to check out her books.

    Thanks for being part of Fall Into Reading '09!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like an interesting, challenging list. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list. I see a few that I am interested in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know Anita Shreve had another one coming out - lucky you to get to review it! Lots of great titles - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm reading The Promised World now and it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unfortunately, I only know from this list the book by John Steinbeck.
    But I'm curious of your reviews.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your list! I think one of my goals for 2010 is going to be to read all of Ray Bradbury's work. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.