Tuesday, September 22, 2009

147 - Yes, My Darling Daughter; Margaret Leroy




Grace is a single mom, who works in a flower shop full time, and spends her free time with Sylvie, her sweet little four year old daughter. The two live a simple life, in a not so great part of London, but their life seems happy enough. All seems perfectly normal with Sylvie until she begins having problems in preschool. She has outbursts, exhibits an extreme fear of water, and says odd things to her playmates. She also refuses to call her mother “mum”, and always called her “Grace” instead. She also tells her mother that she does not like living where she does, and wants to go home.
Grace is not sure what to do about the way Sylvie has been behaving. She takes her to a therapist who tends to blame the behaviour on her lifestyle. One day while Sylvie is flipping through a magazine, she becomes fixated on a photo of an Irish fishing village called Coldharbour. Her response to the picture is :

“It’s my seaside….I lived there…I lived in a little house, a white house….I had a cave and a dragon”.

Is it possible Sylvie lived in a past life? Grace and Sylvie are invited by Adam, a university professor involved in the paranormal , to go to Ireland on a research grant, and see whether there is any merit to what Sylvie has been saying.

Part, mystery, part Gothic tale, Yes, My Darling Daughter, had me anxiously turning pages to find out how it would all end. Although things got wrapped up, just a little too neatly, I still really enjoyed this book. I loved that it really held my interest, and that I was able to read it in one day.

RECOMMENDED.

12 comments:

  1. This one sounds truly awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds like it has a really interesting premise. I am glad you enjoyed it. It sounds as though I would like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds like it has a really interesting premise. I am glad you enjoyed it. It sounds as though I would like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds like it has a really interesting premise. I am glad you enjoyed it. It sounds as though I would like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds like it has a really interesting premise. I am glad you enjoyed it. It sounds as though I would like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love a great page turner! This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Past lives always have my interest. Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a fun, quick read. It's nice to have those from time to time, so I'll have to keep it in mind. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooohh, this sounds good! Adding to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome review. I love books that hold my attention so well that I need to finish it the same day I start it. This book sounds really great. Perfect for the RIP challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds kind of freaky!I don't know what I would do if my child acted like this!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.