Wednesday, October 7, 2009

153 - What the Dead Know; Laura Lippman

What the Dead Know, by Laura Lippman is a story about two sisters, Heather and Sunny Bethany, who disappeared some 30 years earlier.  Although most people have forgotten about the two young girls who disappeared from a Baltimore shopping mall, the horrible event resulted in the breakup of their parent's marriage, their father's suicide, and their mother leaving the US for Mexico.

When a woman flees the scene of an automobile accident, and is pursued by police, the woman claims to be Heather Bethany, one of the gitls who disappeared 30 years earlier. Suddenly, the police, social workers, and lawyers are involved in the long buried case, as they try to determine if the woman is, in fact, who she claims to be.  If she is the same person, where has she been for 30 years?

My Thoughts:  This review was based on the audio version. The reader Linda Edmond was excellent.  The story itself goes back and forth in time, not an ideal technique when you are listening to an audio book. The story held my interest with good character development, and although there were quite a few characters who could have been involved in the girl's disappearance, the author was able to nicely tie it up in the end to a satisfying conclusion. RECOMMENDED

20 comments:

  1. This book sounds very interesting-"Lovely Bones" by Anne Sebold also shows how a horrible tragedy to children can end up destroying a marriage-

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I both read this book last year and enjoyed it. I thought it was a good mystery, with good character development, as you mentioned, though I did figure out one of the major plot twists pretty early on (unusual for me!).

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book this year but didn't get around to reviewing it (yet). I also really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good and like it could really happen in our crazy world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one resides in Mt. TBR--not sure when I'll get to it but I love your review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh - I am looking for some good audio book recommendations. I think this one might fit the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sound of this one. I'll keep this in my wish list for the time being until book ban is lifted. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This story sounds fascinating to me. I wonder how it is in print rather than audio. I really enjoy mystery stories like this with police investigations into cases that have been cold for years.

    Thank you for this recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard of this book before. I enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book has been on my radar for a while now...glad you lied it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So maybe I need to give this one another try huh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of the author, but the book intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ordered this book on cd from the library...can't wait to start it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like the audio version is a huge hit; I'll look for it (just joining the Fitness Challenge, so I'll need more audiobooks to walk/run to!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always get sucked into reading books with premises like this! Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The synopsis of this book sounds very interesting. I haven't seen this one around, but I think I might like to give it a try. I would probably not choose the audio version due to the multiple shifts in time though. I tend to get a little disoriented when I am listening to a book that jumps around in the time line.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.